Tall Front Sight

U.S. Military Krags
flyer92

Tall Front Sight

Post by flyer92 »

Upon receiving an original front sight cover for my 1898 long rifle, I quickly confirmed that my front sight was much to tall (see photo). Poyer's reference states that the tallest U.S. Krag sight measured .41", so I was not surprised when mine measured .48"! The sight looks pretty legitimate in every other way, but I still suspect this is some sort of aftermarket thing. However, before I attempt to replace it, is anyone aware of taller sights ever being issued or used for this model or any other Krag? Would just hate to remove or destroy something that might otherwise be rare. I'm pretty sure that's not the case, but just wanted to ask the experts before I do anything. MANY thanks! Image

flyer92

Re: Tall Front Sight

Post by flyer92 »

And FWIW, here's the sight without the cover.Image

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

Neither height nor shape of that blade are even close to any SA Krag product.

flyer92

Post by flyer92 »

Thanks, Para. Time to start the hunt for a proper front sight blade...ugh!

To that end, I was curious if the blade retaining pin is intended to drift out in one direction, like that for 1903A3. Drift out left to right, right to left, or does it matter?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

An original Krag front-sight pin has a slight taper and should be driven out 'left to right'.

Per Brophy, model 1898 Krag rifle blades measured an average of .413" (for ten samples measured).

(PM me, if you are unable to locate an original blade and pin. I probably have a spare I can sell).

Some photos of model 1898 rifle sight-blades. Second photo displays need to remove blade in order to remove front barrel-band. Last photo contrasts rifle and carbine blade.ImageImageImage

flyer92

Post by flyer92 »

Again...great info and photos. That really helped me out. I am still having trouble finding an original blade, so will PM you. Many thanks!

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

The high front sight may have been installed to let the shooter use the original Krag sights at 50 or 100 yards, maybe even with handloads. Perhaps you should try it at the range before you replace it.

flyer92

Post by flyer92 »

I was thinking the same thing, but will probably end up replacing it anyway. Like the majority of milsurps in my collection, I am more interested in returning the rifle to its original configuration. Yes, I may have to wrestle with accuracy issues, but that makes it all the more interesting...and sometimes frustrating! :)

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Accuracy can be had even if the calibrations on the leaf don't match the range. The 1898 I use in matches is set at about 250 yards, even though I'm shooting at 200. That's the beauty of the rear sight on the Krag (mine's a 1902): There is adjustment between the set points! Not the case with other rifles...

flyer92

Post by flyer92 »

Thanks pstein...that's good to hear, as I also have the 1902 rear sight.