Intro & CMP Questions

U.S. Military Krags
cliff

Intro & CMP Questions

Post by cliff »

Hello,

I am new to this board and wanted to say hello, and I also wanted to ask some questions about these vintage CMP shoots.

My name is Cliff and I'm from Washington state. I've owned a sporterized Krag since the mid-1970's. I haven't done much shooting with it in the last 30 years. I would like to get more involved in shooting it (and my two M1903's) at long range. I didn't know Krags were allowed in CMP matches at Camp Perry, but I've been watching youtube videos of psteinmayer (sorry sir, I can't find your actual name).

I would like to plant a seed for the possibility of attending Camp Perry vintage matches next year. What does one have to do to accomplish this? I guess I will need to find a local club that is a CMP member. Then what? I do know that I will need a non-altered Krag rifle, rather than my sporter. I'm looking for that now. Does anyone have any other suggestions that may help me?

Thanks,
Cliff

psteinmayer

Re: Intro & CMP Questions

Post by psteinmayer »

Howdy Cliff! Welcome to the forum.

First off, you can go to the CMP website and register to get a Competition Number. This is free and open to anyone. They will also have a list of local CMP matches that you can attend. Most are open and do not require you to be a member of the club (for instance, I shoot in a match every month at KRGC in Kalamazoo, MI; although I am not a member there). When you select a match, call them and inquire. Go here to get your CMP number: https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php . Also, you can shoot your sporter in most local matchs, although it will not count for CMP score. You are correct in that you must have an "As-Issued" Krag to shoot at Camp Perry. If you do attend, you are more than welcome to shoot with me and my friends - Always room for more!

CMP matches are always shot at 200 yards (or 100 yards using a 200 yard SR-Simulated Range target). Camp Perry is always 200 yards. The course of fire is 5 rounds sight-in in any position; 10 rounds single load slow fire in the Prone position; 10 rounds Rapid Fire Prone from standing; and 10 rounds single load slow fire in the Off Hand (standing) position for a total of 35 rounds. Vintage, Springfield, and Garand matches all use this course of fire.

Vintage matches are open to As-Issued Krags and 1917 Enfield, as well as any mechanically operated foreign rifles (Mosin-Nagant, Mauser, Arisaka, Swiss K31, British Enfield, etc.). Springfield is for As-Issued 1903, 1903A1, and 1903A3 rifles. Garand is for As-Issued Garand Rifles. Also, this year the CMP is starting a Theodore Roosevelt Commemorative Match, which is open to Krags and early 1903s only (no 1903A1 or 1903A3).

Hope this all helps. Oh, and I'm Paul... very pleased to meet you!

cliff

Post by cliff »

Hi Paul,

This is a huge help, thank you. And I can put a name with the face because I've seen you on youtube :)
I followed your link and now I have a CMP number. I am trying to decide right now which vintage match to attend. There is one this weekend but I don't think I'm going to have the time to drive there and back this weekend. Besides, from what I've read, I'll have five shots to get the rifle sighted in at 200 yards before the actual match starts. I think I'm going to need a little more practice before I am confident enough to attempt an actual match. But this sounds like it's going to be a hoot. Thank you again for your help.

Take care,
Cliff

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

The best advice I can give you is to sight it in before hand. The five-round sight in is helpful for variances like wind and heat and such... but if you're not hitting the target, five won't get you in the black. Sight in for 200, but if you don't have a 200 yard range at your disposal, then sight in for 100, and if you shoot at 200, then you'll just have to move your elevation and sight with the five shots.

Also, make up some dummy rounds (10) and practice the rapid fire. Loading the first five is no problem... but the reload with a Krag is challenging at best, and a downright nightmare at worst. You will only have 80 seconds to get ten shots off!

If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.

Paul

Cat Man

Post by Cat Man »

Cliff,

I've shot the CMP matches the last few years and Paul's information is right on. It is loads of fun. One more thing I would mention, The CMP rules are intended to keep things safe, simple and fun. Even if you don't have any match experience, just go to a local match and see how it works. You will find everyone friendly and helpful. The CMP encourages new shooters and coaching help is allowed. (well at least until you start winning and then you are on your own, LOL).

And 200 yards prone is what we consider short range. EASY to shoot.

When you go to a match as a first timer, even without a rifle, be advised, someone is will likely hand you a rifle and say, "here try it". It's that kind of a bunch.

Have fun,

Jeff the Caterpillar Man

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

There are also Cast Bullet Association matches in Puyallup and Vancouver, some of the fellows shoot Krags.

cliff

Post by cliff »

CatMan and Madsenshooter, thank you for your comments and advice.

Cliff