Anson Mills Krag cartridge belt?

U.S. Military Krags
Jeremy T Garner

Anson Mills Krag cartridge belt?

Post by Jeremy T Garner »

I stumbled across this in a local antique store. From my quick research, particularly the patent date on the back of the buckle, this appears to be designed for .30 Army projectiles. The color of the belt is a bit faded on the cartridge loop side (bluish gray) but the inner section has almost no wear at all and is a beautiful blue color. I have not seen one in this color before and the buckle is quite intriguing to me as well. Thought I would post some pics and get the full scoop from the experts. :) ImageImageImageImage

Culpeper

Re: Anson Mills Krag cartridge belt?

Post by Culpeper »

Could be a krag belt from the days when it was a military disciplinary barracks before the DOJ took it over.

Could be.

Great find anyway. I've never seen one of those before now.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Jeremy: I believe that belt is actually of Hurlburt manufacture. The cartridge-loops are probably sewn on, rather than woven integrally with the fabric of the main belt. (The woven loops were a Mills-Orndorff patented process). The 'end-fittings' of the belt in your photo are the style used by Hurlburt.

The Hurlburt belts were normally khaki color with three fine blue stripes. The belts were sometimes dyed dark-blue at a later date and fade with time. I have a Hurlburt belt that was dyed blue. It is possible to see N.Y. regimental markings printed in black ink and 34th (Michigan?) markings stenciled in white paint on the back.

Although the belt you pictured is old, the buckle is new, faked to look old, and a bogus fantasy - IMHO. The Mills-Orndorff stamping on the back is not in the correct style.

There are many fantasy buckles (never made until recent times) that have appeared on the internet.

Jeremy T Garner

Post by Jeremy T Garner »

Hey Chuck! Thank you for the heads up. I wondered about the buckle as during my research I saw a few fantasy buckles sell for 12.95 on eBay. The price for the belt was absolutely absurd so I didn't buy it but wanted some pictures to share with you fellows for better knowledge and understanding.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

This photo shows a couple of commercial 'Hunting Dog' Mills-Orndorff marked buckles and an unmarked N.Y buckle (that may be an old Bannerman 'restrike').

The belt in the photo is a Hurlburt, which has unmarked brass belt end-fittings, held on by three hollow rivets (similar to Mills-Orndorff). Hinged to the end-fitting is a closed wire bail that is positioned between cartridge loops to adjust belt length.

From my experience, Mills-Orndorff 'end-fittings' are marked with manufacturer and patent date. Hinged to the 'end-fitting' is an open "C" of heavy brass rod. This is hooked over the belt to adjust length (like on the canvas, Lee-Enfield and Krag, Mills rifle-slings).Image

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

The legit patent stampings are usually MUCH finer (thinner letter strokes) struck, and frequently run slightly off the edge. They actually look like crap compared to the repros, but that is the best way to tell them apart.

I was once told that a lot of the fakes came from Pakistan, and are "aged" in camel dung. Don't know if that is true or just a good story.