Of Handguards and Rear Sights

U.S. Military Krags
mr.tickle

Re: Of Handguards and Rear Sights

Post by mr.tickle »

Well I got some 1901 sights, looks good. For some reason everytime I see it I think "Who put '03 sights on my Krag?" lol Can definitely tell the Springfield sights were derived from these. When I purchased the new sight I ordered a no-go gauge just for peace of mind. Unfortunately it closes on the gauge :'( . So Im not sure what to do now.... This was my dream gun and I'd hate to turn it into a wall hanger. The barrel is in great shape, muzzle erosion gauge shows a "1". I heard a new bolt body might help. This rifle is starting to be more expensive than some of the girls I dated haha.
I'm just here for the food...

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

mr.tickle: You should have gotten the 'Field' gauge (.073 inches).

Many Krags will probably close on the 'no-go' gauge, but, they are totally serviceable and 'OK'.

It seems way too much has been made of head-space with Krags and .303 Lee-Enfields. With these rimmed cartridges this is not the big issue it may be with rimless cartridges.

Have you fired your Krag? Does your brass show any signs of excessive stretching in the head area? This is probably a better signal of problems than the 'no-go' gauges.

p.s. Most of us probably just 'Neck-Size' our .30-40 cases when reloading. ImageImageImage

mr.tickle

Post by mr.tickle »

A field gauge is on order. So we shall see how it does with that. I hadn't noticed anything unusual with the brass which was why I was surprised it failed the no-go gauge.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

mr.tickle - You can always improvise a 'Field' gauge by using thin shims or washers, held on a .30-40 case with a bit of grease, to build up to a rim thickness of .073".

Parashooter is very knowledgeable on issues of 'head-space' and 'end-Play' in cartridge, chamber, and bolt fit. He and others have shared considerable discussion of these issues and the Krag .

It is time well spent viewing past pages of the KCA Forum. There, you will find considerable discussion, graphics and explanation. (Use the KCA Search Feature - "Head Space").

FWIW - It was once a common 'home gunsmithing' practice to lap the U.S. Krag's locking-lug, so that, the guide-rib/safety-lug on the bolt body would make contact with the rear receiver wall. (It was thought this made the action stronger and it is how Norwegian Krags were built).

If this is done to a U.S. Krag, it introduces more 'End-Play' or increases head-space.

It is easy to check on a U.S. Krag. There should normally be a gap of a few thousandths of an inch. (If the closed 'bare' bolt can be moved back, so that the rib touches the receiver wall, the lug has probably been lapped. (Test with a thin piece of paper).

(BTW - New Old Stock bolts are available from 'Movieman' for $55). Image

mr.tickle

Post by mr.tickle »

Thanks! I'll get to reading! I did go ahead and order a bolt as well.