1898 Krag stock

U.S. Military Krags
psteinmayer

Re: 1898 Krag stock

Post by psteinmayer »

Unfortunately, any stock you would purchase via Gunbroker or EBay is not going to measure up to (what appears to be in the photos) an absolutely beautiful stock! However, I agree with replacing it temporarily while making good, solid repairs to the original. That way, you can take her out and give her a little dance! Also unfortunately, any stock... whether new reproduction, or old used from someone, is not going to be cheap! As Ned said... check the classifieds first. Antique arms shows might also be a good place to look. I did see one recently on EBay, but I can not verify the quality... or whether it's still there or not.

As an addendum... I will say that repairing my cracked stock took me about a week, working a few hours a night. However, my stock was merely cracked, and not broke right through. Also, this is NOT the first time I've heard of this happening with a shipping company!

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Stocks broken like that are not limited to Krags or even to military rifles. Long ago, a friend's British sporting rifle, a Magnum Mauser in .404 Jeffery, broke in a similar manner. The same treatment as recommended here was used to repair the rifle. Upon completion, I could not see any trace of the breaks. The rifle was fired with full power loads afterward with no damage.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I received one broken like that! I think somewhere in the PO system there's a guy who has the job of stepping on a box suspected of having a gun in it. The box is supported at each end and the fellow is pretty heavy! I made a claim for mine with the PO, they wanted the whole gun at the PO! I finished the claim online for the collector value destroyed, got the whole $500 I paid for the rifle! I kept the rifle and put it a different stock that was easier to repair, just cracked, not broken in two. I use Brownell's Accraglas. Regular if I'm going inject into a crack, the gel to spread around without running.