Parkerized Krags

U.S. Military Krags
DarrylP

Parkerized Krags

Post by DarrylP »

Hi, new to the forum and new to Krag collecting. I am looking at a nice 1898 model. It is parkerized. Is this something that was done WWI era by a US arsenal? Can't find much info on this variation. I do know that CMP does offer park services and was thinking that is also a possibility. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much. :)

butlersrangers

Re: Parkerized Krags

Post by butlersrangers »

'DarrylP' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

To the best of my knowledge, U.S. Krags were never 'Parkerized', while in U.S. Military service. It is likely something that was done by some private owner(s) (or a VFW Post), long after Krags were sold off during the 1920s.

A 'Parkerized' Krag just does not look right to me! (IIRC, the process just started to be used around 1918).

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

There were quite a few of them sold off by a veterans organization in the Carolinas. I have a 92/96 that was sold by them. They didn't plug the barrels, so there's parkerizing inside too, and they didn't get the neutralizing solution inside. After the parkerizing wore away, some pitting became obvious. Not all may have been done like mine.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

For what it's worth, Madsenshooter's parked Krag is a tack driver!!! I've been shooting beside it at the Nationals for 5 years now, LOL

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Well, it's not bad, better now that I put a different barrel on it. I wasn't always shooting the parked Krag Paul, I got my cast bullet shooter in there one year! If you get a parked Krag, liberal amounts of grease will save wear on the parkerizing. No parkerized Krag is a collector's item, unless you take a view like I did. In another 100yrs, it'll look the same if properly cared for.ImageImage

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Years ago I bought a carbine that has a dark park. The thing looks like a million bucks but it certainly is not correct. Hmmmm. Looks like I need to dig it out of the pile and get a picture of it.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Mark_Daiute

Post by Mark_Daiute »

Well, it's not bad, better now that I put a different barrel on it. I wasn't always shooting the parked Krag Paul, I got my cast bullet shooter in there one year! If you get a parked Krag, liberal amounts of grease will save wear on the parkerizing. No parkerized Krag is a collector's item, unless you take a view like I did. In another 100yrs, it'll look the same if properly cared for.

Bob, I hope we ge together again some day just so I can see this Krag up close and personal.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Only outtie cartouche I've ran across so far. The receiver that came in the stock was cracked and it appears someone knew it. So it sat for a looong time with lots of cosmoline in it that it absorbed over the years. The stock was cracked at the wrist too, but that was better than the one I received completely broken in two at the wrist.

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

Once in Bloomington Il. I saw several Krags that had been parkerized but, passed on all knowing parkerizing was never a Krag thing.
Steve
The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson