My New 1898

U.S. Military Krags
USMCCollector

Re: My New 1898

Post by USMCCollector »

All, thanks much for the information. I've been busy tearing down an old garage and doing prep work for a new one and just getting back to the post. The information you provided is very detailed and I greatly appreciate it.
As hinted in my first post, I've been trying to collect a version of each major long arm and short arm used by the US Marines through history, and having correct information on the weapon's history and details is valuable to me. This rifle brings me to 10 of 23 long arms.
I've been looking, and have a friend looking at gunshows for bayonets, as well as ebay, and I'll order a period-correct sling as suggested.
I plan to have the rifle headspace checked so that I can shoot it, but I won't be doing any matches with it.

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

Welcome to the forum and that's a good looking Krag you found there, congratulations. Be careful these are addictive.
Steve
The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

Hi... Welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of Krags! You're in good company here.

As for the bayonet and scabbard, usually gun shows are A good place to start. You could look at eBay, or Gunbroker... but people tend to charge what THEY value, as opposed to actual value (some people always think their stuff is made of solid gold).

Now for the sling: you have a US Web sling, which is not period correct for a Krag, but IS legal to use for CMP Matches. If you want a correct sling, there is two routes you can go, and both are period correct. The first would be an 1887 Trapdoor sling, which is what was used on Krags also. The second is a 1907 sling, which first appeared on 1903 Springfields, and Krags still in service right up to, and during the Great War (WW1). If you intend on shooting in CMP Matches, I would highly suggest a 1907, which is what most of us use. Check out Turner Saddlery, which has about the best slings available. Their slings are manufactured on equipment acquired from Rock Island Arsenal and are up to exact US military standards. A Correct 1907 is 48 inches, but for competition, it's better to get a National Match sling (exactly the same but stronger) in 50 inches. Turner's also offers an 1887 sling.

If you do intend on shooting in the National Matches at Camp Perry, let us know as there is usually a bunch of us from this forum who shoot there also.

Best regards
Paul

Don't forget Les Tam's slings.
Steve
The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson