New to me Springfield 1898

U.S. Military Krags
0311USMC

New to me Springfield 1898

Post by 0311USMC »

Hi, I recently acquired a Springfield mode 1898 and was wondering if there is anything someone could tell me about it.
Serial number 273865. Thanks in advance, I c an post more pictures later this evening.

0311USMC

Re: New to me Springfield 1898

Post by 0311USMC »

img
img
img

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'0311USMC' - Welcome to the KCA Forum and congratulations on getting your first Krag-Jorgensen rifle.

Model 1898 Krag rifle, #273865, was probably assembled around July or August, 1900.

(Krags were not assembled or accepted into service in strict numerical order. The receivers were numbered and went into parts bins. They were pulled out arbitrarily for assembly, so dating is approximate).

Your serial number does not appear in the SRS data that was published in the 2nd. edition of Franklin Mallory's, "The Krag Rifle Story". (Only a small percentage of Krag numbers do).

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'0311USMC' - You posted some pictures while I was typing my first reply to you.

The metal finish looks quite nice and original on your Krag.

Your stock has been cut-down (shortened), thinned, and refinished. The Hand-guard and barrel mounted rear-sight were removed. A Redfield, #102-K, "no-drill" receiver 'peep' sight (worth about $100) was mounted. These alterations were made for 'Hunting' purposes.

The fortunate thing is that your Krag appears to have its full 30 inch barrel length and no 'new holes' in the receiver. You can shoot and enjoy it, as it is. Also, if you so choose, your Krag can be restored.Image

0311USMC

Post by 0311USMC »

butlersrangers thanks for the welcome and information. I'm pretty new to older firearms and enjoy the history. I'm sure everyone asks this but is it worth much in this condition? I've seen online sales but the rifles looked amazing and more complete. Which gave them a price to be sold to collectors. Thanks in advance for your time.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'0311USMC' - Lots of U.S. Krag rifles, (and also Norwegian ones), have been modified for 'Hunting'. It was a popular thing to do for 30 years. When disposed of by the U.S. Government in the 1920s, Krags sold for as little as $1.50.

I would estimate the value of your Krag at $300 to $400. Part of its value would depend on the condition of the bore. Your metal parts all look good, on the outside, and have value for a restoration. You have a Redfield aftermarket sight, (complete with its longer side-plate screw), that is useful and also easy to sell, (if you don't want it).

If you have been looking at 'GunBroker', you will have noticed a lot of messed up Krags and a few nice ones. IMHO and experience - There has always been a tendency to over-price and misinform about Krags, especially the messed up ones that should be parts donors. Krags are really an area where it is "Buyer Beware"!

You would be wise to spend $20 and get Joe Poyer's book, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine". It has lots of useful information (and some mistakes and faults). It will increase your enjoyment of your Krag and make you better informed than most vendors of Krags.

A word of caution - Krag parts, especially original Stocks and Hand-guards, are quite expensive. A decent model 1898 Krag rifle is not hard to find for around $800. It is very easy to pour too much money into a restoration project.

There are guys on Ebay, who are 'parting out' complete Krags faster than collectors can restore them!

Take time to shoot and enjoy your Krag as it is. If it's a Family heirloom, leave it like it is!

0311USMC

Post by 0311USMC »

Thanks again for your knowledge on it. Is the book available at most book stores or mostly online? I appreciate all your help, it's definitely awesome having a piece of history.