Extractor and safety

U.S. Military Krags
Mark_Daiute

Extractor and safety

Post by Mark_Daiute »

Had Christmas here at the office this morning.

My 1896 extractor came. It is new old stock and really too nice for for the bolt assembly it landed in, has a real nice deep electric blue.

I picked up a bolt for a couple of dollars back in the Fall, got it home and realized that it did not have a safety.

Along with the extractor that came today I also got a safety for the bolt assembly I have that is sans safety. I got the safety installed in the bolt sleeve and all seemed to operate as it should. Install the spring, striker rod and firing pin into the bolt body I can't rotate the safety. Took it apart, safety rotated as it should. Put the striker rod back in with the spring put it all in the bolt and the safety won't rotate.

I'm not a mechanic, clearly. I'm all ears if someone has more experience with this.

If you shop on Ebay I got the parts from movieman.

Thanks.

Dick Hosmer

Re: Extractor and safety

Post by Dick Hosmer »

It would appear that there is some inconsistency between safety and striker? Have never encountered that issue.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I believe 'movieman' may be grandson of the late, Joe DeChristopher, judging by the range of parts he is selling.

Mark, if you post some pictures of your bolt parts, someone can probably advise on the problem.

Mark_Daiute

Post by Mark_Daiute »

I believe 'movieman' may be grandson of the late, Joe DeChristopher, judging by the range of parts he is selling.

Mark, if you post some pictures of your bolt parts, someone can probably advise on the problem.

Thanks, I will. Seems I promised someone some photos of a certain carbine stock without a nose. I'll be sending photos as soon as I find that damned camera...!

Mark_Daiute

Post by Mark_Daiute »

I must've been absolved of some sort of sin or something or maybe I held my face wrong but...

After taking the bolt apart and re-assembling it everything works fine.

Go figure.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Mark:

The Spirits of Ole Krag and Erik Jorgensen "be messin with ya". They are such cut-ups!

(Actually, probably a case of a burr somewhere and close tolerances).