Krag Born on date.

U.S. Military Krags
Galvinator77

Krag Born on date.

Post by Galvinator77 »

Hi, new member w/ a question regarding a de-militarized Krag, possibly originally a carbine or at least having an carbine barrel. Question is the serial number range. It is marked Model 1898. but the serial number is 4807xx which is outside the highest number in a couple of sources I found doing an internet search. It has a carbine length barrel with a Krag front sight base. Any help would be appreciated. I can email pictures if it would help.

butlersrangers

Re: Krag Born on date.

Post by butlersrangers »

"Galvinator77" - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

A model 1898 Krag action, #4807XX, would have been made near the end of Krag production in late 1903. (Possibly, that action was never used at Springfield and got sold as surplus parts).

Parts guns were manufactured, after Springfield stopped making Krags, by 'sporting goods/surplus' companies, like Bannerman's and Stokes Kirk.

In 1899, Springfield began producing the model 1899 carbine. Actions used for carbines were marked model 1899. A model 1898 action, numbered 4807XX, if used, would have been for a rifle.

Post clear close-up Pictures, especially of your barrel's front-sight and muzzle crown, and you will get better observations and information.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Hi, and also Welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of Krags!!!

Having a Krag front sight post is not a guarantee that it's not been cut down. Some of the craftier sporter gunsmiths removed the post and re-installed it after shortening the barrel (my 24" sporter is one such cutoff). As Butlerrangers stated, a close up photo of the post and muzzle crown will tell the tale.

Regardless of whether it's a cutoff or true carbine barrel... your Krag should provide decades of fun shooting and hunting!

Galvinator77

Post by Galvinator77 »

Thanks for the info! Figured it was very late and the fact that the receiver is probably 1903 is cool. Its not mine yet but working on talking my buddy out of it. Will get some pictures of the front sight posted. Regardless, have to get some ammo to take it shooting. want something like the GI ball and not hunting ammo for right now.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

If you want ammo... there's basically two routes you can go:

1. Buy Remington or Winchester ammo loaded with a 180 grain soft point spitzer bullet, which is made for hunting.

2. Reload your own ammo (you'll need brass, which most get from shooting the hunting Rem or Win ammo). Most of us reload because of the price of factory ammo... which is also not easy to find on store shelves. With reloading, you can easily duplicate the original US .30 Cal load, which is a 220 grain round nosed bullet (loaded with 40.0 grains of 4350 is about as close as you can get).

Hope this helps.