New guy in Ohio

U.S. Military Krags
birddog1148

New guy in Ohio

Post by birddog1148 »

Hello, new guy here from Ohio. A year or 2 ago I bought a carbine from Dupage trading that was advertised as a former movie prop, I think Gunga Din or something like that. The carbine was not complete and I knew that when I ordered it but could not pass it up for $200. I got it looked it over and put it in my gun rack and have not done anything with it yet. Now I see that the CMP may be having a Roosevelt Match at Camp Perry this summer and since my 1903 is a low number rifle I cant shoot it so I would like to get this one up and running so to speak. I know I need a front sight blade, a hand guard, a rear sight, rear sling swivel and a safety.

butlersrangers

Re: New guy in Ohio

Post by butlersrangers »

Welcome to the KCA Forum, 'birddog1148'.

Some close and detailed pictures would allow others to give better guidance and suggestions on your project.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Being a former movie prop... it's possible that it's also a cutdown rifle, which is not uncommon (check Atticus Finch shooting a rabid dog with a sporter in To Kill A Mockingbird). As Chuck said, post some pictures, especially showing the muzzle/front sight, rear sight, and overall showing the stock. Also, measure your barrel from the muzzle to the closed bolt face. Anything other than exactly 22 inches is almost certainly a rifle that has been sporterized or faked.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

A couple of weeks ago, I watched the 1943 movie, "For Whom the Bell Tolls" on TCM.

I had not seen it, since I was a 'Kid'. In fact, I did not know it was made in 'Technicolor', since we had a Black & White T.V.

My favorite character/performance was "Pilar", the female leader. The part was played by Greek actress, Katina Paxinou, who, as I later found out, won the 1944 'Oscar' for "Best Supporting Actress". (She carried & used a Krag through the movie).

Lots of short Mausers in the movie, but, by the end: Three out of Four Anti-Facists prefer Krag-Jorgensens!ImageImageImage

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Thanks a lot Chuck... Now there's ANOTHER movie I gotta go watch!!!