Cracked Stock

U.S. Military Krags
cdagnese

Re: Cracked Stock

Post by cdagnese »

Sounds like a plan to me. Injecting will probably do the trick and the holes will increase the area for the epoxy to bond. The rounded holes, filled with epoxy, will further stabilize the stock.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Ok, the repairs continue...

I drilled a 0.1 dia hole on each side from the magazine well back along the line of the crack. Each hole extends approximately 3/4 inch, but because of the angle, is not perfectly parallel to the side, but rather at a slight angle.

I injected epoxy into the holes until it oozed out of the majority of the cracked area... almost the entire length of the crack. I also used my popsicle stick to try to force epoxy into the rearward areas of the crack where there was less oozing. I scraped the excess epoxy off the sides and in the magazine well and trigger slot areas.

I then secured the crack with several tight rubber bands, and then propped the stock upright and placed a 4 pound divers weight over the cracked area for added pressure. I'll now let that cure for a few days.

Pictures are attached, including one of the epoxy and injector I used.
ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Looking good, Paul. Hey, maybe when you are done, you can put some of those rubber bands around the stock wrist and forearm to improve your grip!

gnoahhh

Post by gnoahhh »

Looks good indeed. No need to leave it clamped up for days. Overnight is quite sufficient- it won't move after that. Maybe waiting a couple days before subjecting it to the rigors of a forced march over the Mindanao mountains would be a good idea though.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

The Krag went back together yesterday evening. I've loaded up some moderate 150 gr RN loads, and tomorrow I'll hit the range and get her sighted back in.

I found my front sight blade was a little loose also, so I used a C-clamp and some parallel blocks to slightly close the blade post before reinstalling the blade, which worked like a beauty - now my blade is nice and solid! This could have added to my accuracy issues.

I'll post my results tomorrow after my range trip.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

It ought to be good for another 100yrs Paul. I've got one similarly cracked. I planned out how to repair it long ago, just as you did, and haven't got around to it yet. On mine the receiver acted like a wedge to cause the cracks as someone had removed wood at the front of the receiver bedding area, an attempt to free float that portion. Not to mention, I have this big screwdriver...

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Back from the range. I fired some 65 rounds successfully and the stock is nice and solid!

I fired 15 nice mild rounds with 150 gr RNSP bullets, and 50 rounds of 165 gr SP Spitzer bullets that I wanted to use up. Now, here is the interesting thing. I have been trying to work up these Hornady 150 gr RN bullets (45.1 gr IMR4350/CCI 250promer) in an attempt to find a milder round for CMP competitions, but I've had no luck at all with accuracy. With my elevation set for 200 yards, I was still hitting low. The Hornady 165 gr SP Spitzers were loaded up more than 4 years ago (with 38.5 gr IMR4064p/CCI 200), and I wanted to just use them up because the brass was relatively new and I need the brass. I found, however, that these were peppering the center of the target. Bottom line is, I will order some more of these bullets and load up another 50 rounds. I'll shoot them in the match next month, and if it goes like I hope, I may just continue shooting them from here on out! Oh, and since the bullets have a cannelure and I apply a nice mild factory crimp, I have no issues with feeding... they seem to feed like butter!

Here are a few pictures of the Krag stock, now repaired. Enjoy!ImageImageImage

Zgun

Post by Zgun »

Good job on the repair Paul. Glad to hear is all OK and the old girl is shooting well. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Ok, I went ahead and shot the Krag in a CMP match yesterday. I did ok... but mostly, that was me and not the Krag. I use a new load of Hornady 165 grain BTSP spitzers over 36.0 grains of IMR4064 and a CCI 200 primer. The results were encouraging, although I haven't totally abandoned my ole 220 gr loads yet. 80-1X prone, 83-1X rapid (with a saved round), and 71-0X off hand. The stock was nice and solid!

Here's a couple pictures of me shooting prone and off hand.

ImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

A new member inquired about repairing stock 'cracks' today. I posted on this old thread to bring this repair information to the top.