What is the history of my carbine?

U.S. Military Krags
pg

What is the history of my carbine?

Post by pg »

I was given a Krag Carbine about 50 years ago. I am interested in knowing its history. It is stamped 1898 and its serial number is 228148. Was it manufactured as a carbine etc.

psteinmayer

Re: What is the history of my carbine?

Post by psteinmayer »

With that serial number, the chances of it being a true 1898 carbine are nil. Pictures will help confirm what you do have... but it most likely started it's life as a rifle.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I beg to differ - that number is right in the midst of the first 1899 carbine production block - and - date overstrikes are known. Would have to see pictures, including a VERY close shot of the last digit of the date. It still could be a cut rifle, but it is not fair for it to be dismissed out of hand.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

My mistake Dick. I was basing that on the statement that it was stamped 1898.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Paul - you were absolutely 100% correct about it being out of range for an 1898 carbine - you just had the bad luck to encounter a bulls-eye on a known carbine range! Also, the overstrike is rare and NOT common knowledge. So, don't feel bad, the odds were well in your favor - and, you may well still be right - pictures, if ever posted, will tell us a lot more.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Roger that Dick. I had forgot about the 1899 Carbine range... and did not know about the overstrike issue.

To be honest, sometimes I start replying to a post... and then afterwards, worry that I might have begun speaking (or typing, as it were) before engaging my brain, and possibly gave erroneous info! I just hope if I did, someone catches it and let's me know that I sound like a buffoon... LOL!

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Paul, some buffoons have posted here, but I do not see you among them. Wish I knew half of what you do about loading for and actually shooting the Krag. Needless to say that goes for Bob (madsenshooter) in spades, as well.