1898 Infantry Krag rear sight.

U.S. Military Krags
45ACPete

1898 Infantry Krag rear sight.

Post by 45ACPete »

I just acquired a very nice 1898 Springfield Krag with a rear sight I haven't seen before--admittedly I am not familiar with all the variations. This one has no windage adjustment--just elevation to 1800 yds. I also have a carbine (1899) with the windage-adjustable rear sight--the type that locks with the short lever. It does not have the "C" marking but is graduated to 2100 yds. Are either or both of these sights correct?

Dick Hosmer

Re: 1898 Infantry Krag rear sight.

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Yes, both of them are "correct" Krag sights, though the latter is incorrect on a carbine. The first is a Model 1896, and the latter is a version of the Model 1901. Do not worry that the model year of the sight does not match the model year of the arm. Krags had multiple sight changes.

In fact, I am in serious need of the 2100 yd. sight to complete a restoration, and would be very interested in purchasing same, or working out some sort of trade for the sight you need.

One question, are the side ramps on the 2100 yarder smooth sloped all the way, or do they have small raised flat 'platforms' at their front ends.

Please contact me off-list, at richardahosmer@comcast.net

Thank you very much.