Seeking information on 1896 Carbine

U.S. Military Krags
Piercetruckie

Seeking information on 1896 Carbine

Post by Piercetruckie »

Was digging thru my safe this evening giving some of my ladies a random cleaning, lol and decided to try and find some more information about a Krag I have. Story my dad told my 30 + years ago is it was issued to my great uncle in late 1800's during the Spanish American war. in those 30 + years we've put less than a box of ammo thru her.
Model 1896. Springfield Armory Serial 55706
Has a Redfield peep sight and a "U" stamped into the band on the right side. The flip up range finder is missing from top of stock, or at least that's what I think it was. The contents from the oiler pocket are missing. Other than those two things it is, best I know or can tell, original. Been in my family for well over 100 years. I can attach some pics if needed. Can anybody shed light on history of this weapon? Value? The bore is in excellent shape as is the action and for that matter the stock. Has sling mounts and a sling.
Been browsing this site most of the evening and there is a ton of information so any help you guys have would be appreciated.
Thanks again!

butlersrangers

Re: Seeking information on 1896 Carbine

Post by butlersrangers »

'Piercetruckie' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

It is most likely your model 1896 Krag, #55706, was a U.S. Infantry rifle (30 inch barrel), that someone shortened for Hunting purposes.

The serial number is not in the range used for model 1896 carbines. 1896 carbines had a 'saddle-ring and bar' rather than sling-swivels.

It sounds like the rear-sight (not "range finder") was removed from your barrel.

Clear close-up pictures of your Krag would allow more detailed observations from KCA members. You are fortunate to have a Krag that has been in your Family for a long time.