Calling All Krag History Detectives

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Re: Calling All Krag History Detectives

Post by butlersrangers »

'Local Boy' - That is an attempted reproduction barrel. The front-sight base (shape) and its attachment to the barrel is clearly wrong.

First photo by 'Parashooter' clearly shows how a Krag's front-sight base was dovetailed and brazed into barrel. The second photo shows original sight base on my 1899 carbine. Third photo shows 'replica' you purchased. ImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

IMHO - You should send the barrel back. (It is not a real carbine barrel - wrong length and obvious repro sight).

Enjoy your Krag as you received it from your friend. Use money saved, (by not buying and attaching bogus barrel), to buy .30-40 ammo.

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

IMHO - I think you guys are spot-on. Thanks for the reality check. Will send the barrel back tomorrow. I guess I can use the money to buy more bullets as butlersrangers suggested or maaaaybeeee... buy another Krag! Will be heading to the range in morning to sling some lead down range with the little guy. Thanks again folks. Your a wealth of information.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

maaaaybeeee... buy another Krag!

There ya go... Find a nice Krag rifle in original condition, and take up shooting in CMP matches, such as The Nationals at Camp Perry (this is of course assuming that you don't already do this... which you may already do). :D