Family Krag

U.S. Military Krags
nitris

Family Krag

Post by nitris »

I was just gifted a Krag from a family estate (my family). My aunt was able to get everything set in motion and i just picked it up from shipping yesterday. I know very little / nothing about a Krag rifle but have been busy doing research on the internet. I have a couple of pictures and can take more if needed, but i'm primarily interested if it has any history outside of the little information i have from my family (aunt will try to send the information she has). I have no clue where to begin and i have seen some posts refer to SRS? would someone be able to point me in the right direction? SN#99020

Internet says built 1898?

It was part of a house fire many many years ago and was "saved". The family had used if for many years after to hunt elk successfully.ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: Family Krag

Post by butlersrangers »

'nitris' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. That is an interesting family heirloom you inherited.

It is a U.S. Model 1896 Krag-Jorgensen rifle (#99020) that was assembled around June, 1898, just before the change to the Model 1898 rifle. (Krag #99038 is the closest SRS listing to your rifle. #99038 underwent "Singer bore treatment test" on June 13, 1898).

Your (charred) Stock's forearm was cut-down to make the rifle handier for 'Hunting'. The military rear-sight and wood hand-guard were removed from the barrel. You can see the filled rear-sight holes on the top of the barrel.

Your present rear sight is a commercial Pacific K-1 that replaced the magazine cut-off lever. This was a popular sight for 'Hunting'.

Your photos do not show the forward part of the barrel or the front-sight. Your Krag would originally have had a 30 inch long barrel. Krag rifle barrels were often shortened for 'Hunting', when they got into Civilian hands.

(Photos to show how your Krag looked originally):ImageImage

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

You'll most likely find that you'll LOVE shooting your Krag. It has - hands down - the smoothest action of any bolt action rifle ever conceived! I'd be interested to know if the barrel was shortened, or is original length. The stock may have been shortened because of being burnt... and if so, it may be returned to full military if you so desired... but many of us started our love affair with Krags with a sporter, so you're in good company! It should provide you with many years of good shooting to come, but beware... Krags tend to multiply! LOL :D

nitris

Post by nitris »

Took it apart last night to clean out the time\life in the nooks and crannies. Took some better images. Thank you for all your help.ImageImageImageImage

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Definitely a cutoff. Those are some very interesting targets in the upper left corner too! LOL

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The front-sight base and sling are from a 1903 Springfield. The sight blade is commercial. A pretty typical set-up for Hunting.

Great it is staying in the family!

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Nitris, welcome. The front end of the stock has obviously been in a fire. Any family tales? Was it pulled from a burning building? Did a relative get roaring drunk and let the rifle fall into the campfire?

If the wood was charred like that, would the barrel show any physical damage? Or was the barreled action elsewhere when the wood burned?

nitris

Post by nitris »

From what i understand, it was in a house fire when my aunt was a little girl. It was one of only a few items that were saved from the building.

Thank you everyone for the information, i do really appreciate it.