Finally...I am a US Krag rifle owner

U.S. Military Krags
pcarpenter

Finally...I am a US Krag rifle owner

Post by pcarpenter »

I am new here and have spent a while reading old posts and soaking up some info where I can. I've wanted an original (un-bubba'd) Krag rifle for some years now and had to pass on some that were either out of my range or quite rough. I shoot light loads with cast bullets in most all of my other surplus rifles and wanted something that was at least shootable.

My recently acquired Krag is an 1892...an early one at that. Serial number is 406 with a date (as expected) of 1894. I don't know for sure just when they started production but my hunch is this was made in the first few months with only 2954 or so made the first year. I know that can be for better or worse as I have read there were issues with parts fit from older guns to newer. I need a few items for it so I may create another thread to address that...especially since like most it was converted to 1896 configuration. I don't know for example just whether I should have the original 1892 magazine cutoff lever or not. Has a Pacific peep sight now

It's got the newer extractor with pin and the notch in the receiver. It has a firing pin rod/cocking piece that is clearly not right. Previous owner replaced the one that was there (he said it was cut off) and I think what I have is perhaps a Norwegian Krag piece based on the knurling. In any case, the firing pin striker will not make contact (with a primer)at this point. Has a trapdoor buttplate with what appears to be hand cut crosshatching...goes right through one screw.

Old rod slot is filled and oddly the stock is maybe 1.5" short at front as evidenced by the band marks on the barrel. Seems an odd amount to remove unless it was part of the cleaning rod removal or something. Anyway, feel free to tell me what I have.

Looks like I cannot post links to photos until after one "real" post so I will add those to thread shortly.
Paul

pcarpenter

Re: Finally...I am a US Krag rifle owner

Post by pcarpenter »

Here are a few photos and a link to an album with more:

img

img

and more photos here:
http://s108.photobucket.com/user/pfcarpenter/slideshow/Firearms%20Related/Krag%20rifle

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'pcarpenter': Welcome to the KCA Forum. That is an interesting Updated model 1892 Krag you have acquired.

Your first step is Free. Turn your rear barrel-band around so that the "U" is on the right side.

I think you are correct about the Striker-Rod, it appears to be from a Norwegian Krag.

I recommend you stay with what it is, an early Krag that was updated to model 1896 features. The parts you need: Striker-Rod, and likely a firing pin, 1896 cut-off lever, front-sight blade & pin, and a replacement butt-plate, are not hard to find.

The biggest challenge, requiring skill, will be restoration of the forearm tip, but that can wait. Take your time, research, and enjoy the project. First get your Krag firing and install a proper front sight.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Let me welcome you also. Krags are a way of life for some of us... and beware - they tend to multiply when you're not looking! LOL

I couldn't add anything to what Butlersrangers said except to check out Joe DeChristopher's site, as he usually has parts for Krags, and is most likely your best source. http://www.tradenet.net/joede/

Congratulations on what appears to be a potentially beautiful example of an early Krag Rifle.

Paul

pcarpenter

Post by pcarpenter »

Maybe someone can tell me how to (or not to) communicate with Mr. DeChristopher. I left a message this afternoon and he called back. I started off telling him how I currently had what appeared to be a Norwegian Krag cocking piece in my 1892 that went through the rework to 1896 standards. I mentioned that the previous owner told me that the cocking piece/rod that was in the gun (before he messed it up by replacing it) was "cut off" and he had to use (cringe) Vise Grips on it. This apparently prompted the previous owner to buy an incorrect part to replace that one. I am thinking it was probably one of the straight, carbine cocking piece/rod assemblies--probably still wrong for this gun, but it at least functioned.

In any case, I was promptly told that I don't know what I want and he didn't want to sell me any parts because then I would call back, having gotten the wrong item and it would not be worth it. Nice. Is Joe normally this cantankerous? Unless I am missing something, I want one of the standard 1896 *rifle* cocking piece/firing pin rod assemblies with the standard knurled, bugle shaped knob.

I can find parts from other sources, but got the impression that Joe was a good guy to deal with on this sort of thing. I need one of the 1896 magazine cut off levers and a stacking swivel as well and his web site seems to suggest that he has both. Would have preferred to order it all from him. If I am wrong on the parts I need, let me know. Maybe if I called him and told him that some knowledgeable folks here called out just what I needed, he would be willing to sell me the parts??

Paul

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

Sounds like you gave him "TMI", telling a long story rather than stating concisely what you require. Dealing with the public is often frustrating - sometimes enough to push anyone over the edge. :-?

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Joe's getting up there, and can be a little crotchety. He has always been a very private individual - retired cop - who used - 40+ years ago - to deal by word of mouth only. You didn't just call him up unless you had a personal reference, so, actually he has made some progress! :-) But, the last thing he probably wanted to hear was a long explanation of what you (as a comparative novice) thought was wrong (even though you may well be perfectly correct!).

You might consider sending him your bolt and asking him to make it right - letting him (who happens to be the reigning Mr. Krag) make the choices. If you are sure on the cut-off, ask for it by name.

If that doesn't work out, go to www.trapdoorcollector.com and contact one of the parts suppliers listed there.

pcarpenter

Post by pcarpenter »

Well...I gave him the additional information when he started asking questions under the assumption I did not know what I needed. I am sure he's a bit jaded--probably has been bitten by selling the wrong item to someone who insists they know what they need.

I have a picture of the cocking piece and rod/shroud/striker, all out of the bolt with a caliper showing the dimension of the striker etc. in the photobucket album. Would offer to let him see but am guessing that may be out of the realm of what he's set up for.

To me, for $20, I just want to tell him that I need a '96 rod assembly....send it to me. If it's wrong, I will eat it. It's not worth the hassle to try to prove to anyone that's what I need. He asked questions and I gave him the answers and that took us down the wrong road. The problem is that the questions about what I have now are not relevant to what I *need*.

Edit-- I would add that if there is anyone here who can look at the image below and sort of re-affirm the type/vintage of the bolt body and shroud etc. so that I could tell him that someone with expertise had checked my thinking, maybe that would help?

img

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'pcarpenter': I think 'Parashooter' covered what probably happened in your contact with 'JoeDe'.

Thanks for posting pics of your bolt parts. Your bolt body is an 1896 bolt. It looks like your mainspring is 33.5 coils (used on 1896 and early 1898 rifles), and your Firing pin is U.S.

All you need is a U.S. Striker-Rod and 1896 Cut-Off Lever.

I have posted a picture of some U.S. parts to compare with yours. (You can see how the firing pin tip should reach almost even with the extractor claw). Yours is about 1/4" short.

A second picture shows parts I will send you to get you going. (The cut-off is a late 1896). Send me a PM with your address. If you don't need that Pacific sight base, I could use it.ImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'pcarpenter': The Pacific K1 & K2 base is normally easy to remove from a Krag receiver. It is only locked in place by one set-screw, that makes contact with the receiver where it is machined for the cut-off detent pin. If your's is 'stuck', I imagine it is because of dried grease or rust.

I recommend completely removing the Pacific base's set-screw. Squirt some Liquid Wrench where the Pacific base's shaft enters the receiver. After things soak for a while, lightly tap the Pacific base with a plastic mallet, first inward and then out.

Picture of un-mounted Pacific sights, also, picture showing side-plate off and tip of sight shaft (arrow). Penetrating oil, heat and tapping here with brass drift will remove, if above suggestion fails.
ImageImage