Butt Plate

U.S. Military Krags
banjobill

Butt Plate

Post by banjobill »

New member here. Hope I don't ask too stupid a question.
I have project that started with a 1901 stock and receiver. The stock needs a butt plate. The pics I see searching the net all show a single trap door. This seems odd as there are two drilled holes in the end of the stock (I assume one is for the oiler & the other looks like it has three deeper drilled holes for cleaning rods. Other inline photos show the same.) Am I just not finding butt plates with two traps, or did they not exist and you had to unscrew the butt plate to access the cleaning kit? Or am I way off altogether? :-? Want to find the right plate for this project gun.

butlersrangers

Re: Butt Plate

Post by butlersrangers »

'banjobill": Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Only the top hole is used on the U.S. Krag Stock for storage. The lower hole is to reduce weight.

Attached picture shows accessories in place. The Krag oil bottle is much smaller than the 1903 Springfield and 1917 Enfield version.ImageImage

banjobill

Post by banjobill »

Thanks for the info & photos butlersrangers. So, as I understand the brass item in your photo is the muzzle/sight cover? Since I don't have one yet, your saying it fits in the one hole with the oiler and the rods, eh?

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

No, the muzzle cover will not fit in the butt - just the rods and oiler.

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

'banjobill": Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Only the top hole is used on the U.S. Krag Stock for storage. The lower hole is to reduce weight.

Attached picture shows accessories in place. The Krag oil bottle is much smaller than the 1903 Springfield and 1917 Enfield version.

Excuse my ignorance but, where's the oil bottle in your bottom picture?
Steve
The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'S.B.': The knurled end of the oil container can be seen below the three cleaning-rod ends. (There is some confusing reflection because the 'oiler' is nickel plated).

The 'oiler' is put in the bottom of the butt-trap 1st. Then the 3 rods are inserted into their individual holes and keep the oiler in place. It is good practice to stuff a folded up cleaning patch between the rod ends and the butt-trap door to keep things quiet and from moving.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

The cleaning patch is good practice! I actually used a folded-up piece of paper towel, but the practice is the same. I also put my oiler in with the knurled knob towards the front, just incase the top leaks... keeps the oil from leaking out while the rifle is standing up.

There have been reports of people experiencing the loss of their oilers in the stock. Some stocks have a little space opened up between the two holes due to mis-alignment when the stock was manufactured. The oiler manages to fall into the lower lightening hole and rattle around until the butt plate is removed. I read of a guy who was refinishing his stock and discovered an oiler in there!