Stacking Swivel?

U.S. Military Krags
S.B.

Stacking Swivel?

Post by S.B. »

Are the stacking swivel screws peened after installation? If so, would I need to replace swivel and screw at the same time? How is this peening done(special tooling)?
And, while I'm at it, to remove the handguard from a 1898 I first remove the rear sight then drop the action out of the stock, then gently push up on the spring clip?
Steve
The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

Dick Hosmer

Re: Stacking Swivel?

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Are the stacking swivel screws peened after installation? If so, would I need to replace swivel and screw at the same time? How is this peening done(special tooling)?
And, while I'm at it, to remove the handguard from a 1898 I first remove the rear sight then drop the action out of the stock, then gently push up on the spring clip?
Steve

NO!! You slide the handguard forward until it comes off without flexing the clips. Oil the barrel if you are worried about scratches. Reverse procedure to reinstall. Some people recommend twisting a nickel and a quarter into the clips of the loose handguard if it is to be off for an extended length of time.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'S.B.' - (Regarding Krag swivel screws):

From experience and observation, I believe Krag barrel-band and stacking-swivel screw tips were slightly 'mushroomed' after assembly. I imagine a drift punch with a concave face was used to do this.

The disruption of metal is minor. With a proper fitting screwdriver bit and a little oil, I have not found these screws difficult to remove (or re-assemble). I have not had a problem re-using the screws and they seem to stay put, without problem or the need to 're-mushroom' (just leave the old grease in the threads).

photos - Krag swivel screws and 30 cent trickImageImage

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

Thank you, gentlemen.
Steve

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

Now that I have this apart, seems I can't tell any difference in this stacking swivel and one from a 1903 I've got? Inside hand guard is "Tomos" in what appears to be a silver colored paint also, along the sight cut out. Someone has had this off before, probably how it got cracked.
Steve