Krag Carbine Identification

U.S. Military Krags
Mac

Krag Carbine Identification

Post by Mac »

Can anyone give me any info as to a Krag carbine with the following info on the receiver - "1895" "Springfield Armory" "28270"? Besides a "C" on the left of the rear sight there are no other markings. It has a 22" barrel and a saddle holster (or whatever it is called). My Dad left it to me when he passed away recently. Don't really care about the value - just want to know more about the model. Thanks!

butlersrangers

Re: Krag Carbine Identification

Post by butlersrangers »

"Mac": Welcome to the KCA Forum. Sounds like your father left you a nice item. Although your carbine, #28270, is marked '1895', it is considered a Model 1896 carbine.

It is not one that was issued to the "Rough Riders" (Teddy Roosevelt's 1st U.S.V.). However, it is close! (28260 and 28273 are "Rough Rider" issued Model 1896 carbines).

Krags were not manufactured and issued in numerical order and the carbines issued to the 1st U.S.V. cavalry are known. Your carbine is not one that appears in SRS research. But, it sure is in the block of known carbine numbers.

It would be nice if you could post some pictures of your Krag. It would allow more helpful advice and information.

Mac

Post by Mac »

Thanks! Let me get it cleaned up and I will take a few photos. Speaking of, does anyone know a reputable gun restorer in the Kennesaw/Acworth area of Atlanta?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Mac': Stop -- Less is more. Do no Harm!

Many collectible arms are ruined by "cleaning up" and "restoration". 'Now' is the time to take some clear & detailed digital photos and get feed-back on how to proceed.

The finish and appearance of an original Krag is quite different than later and modern arms. Most Krags were well used and, if well cared for, acquired a desirable 'patina'. This should be preserved. I would advise seeking out knowledgeable local antique arms collectors. You might attend a local gun show and seek out participants who specialize in early U.S. martial arms. If someone tries to talk you into re-finishing your Krag, ('making it nice and shiny') Run Away!

There is no need to rush. If you must, simply wipe your stock with old cotton 'T' shirt rags and a light application of a 50/50 mixture of turpentine & linseed oil. You can clean metal surfaces with cotton patches dampened with Hoppe's #9 nitro-powder solvent. The goal is to wipe off dirt, dust, dried grease, and surface rust.

Show us what you got and you will get good advice.

Mac

Post by Mac »

Thanks - will do.

Mac

Post by Mac »

How the heck do you attach photos?? Tried one photo and the allowable file size was 6 times smaller...

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I compress my picture size for 'documents' (using Microsoft Office Program) or take pictures at around 3.2 MP to get them well below the 768 KB limit. Multiple Close-ups showing markings, stock, and front & rear sight details, are better than vague full-length shots.

Detail, sharp focus, and natural lighting make for the best pictures for analysis and feed-back - KCA posted pictures do not require a lot of pixels - IMHO. Image