1894 rifle restoration project

U.S. Military Krags
gaerich

1894 rifle restoration project

Post by gaerich »

I recently pick up an 1894 krag that has a fancy sporting stock on it. the metal is all good. the rear sight has been replaced but no new holes were drilled and the barrel is still 30 inches long. Is it worth trying to restore this rifle or better to just leave it as is?ImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: 1894 rifle restoration project

Post by butlersrangers »

'gaerich': Welcome to the KCA Forum!

If it were mine (depending on bore condition), I would play with it as is, while also slowly and economically accumulating parts for a restoration. You have to be patient and shop gun shows and the internet and educate yourself. Your 1894 dated Krag was updated to a model 1896 (note the 'hold-open pin' on the extractor and its notch on the receiver). A restoration easily becomes a money pit. You have to define what you want and hope to accomplish and not invest more than a rifle is worth. (It is possible to find a correct and decent model 1896 for under $750-800).

gaerich

Post by gaerich »

Thanks, I did not know that about the pin. I love old sporting rifles made when guys couldnt go buy quality hunting rifles off the shelf, but I had also thought about trying to find an original stock for it since the metal was in unaltered shape. I didnt know stocks were that hard to find for these however. I have basically nothing invested in this rifle so I may just leave it as is

gaerich

Post by gaerich »

besides, its hard to tell from the pics but it has what was once a very nice stock with mother of pearl and ivory inlays, but if any of you have a full length stock that would fit and you want to get rid of it cheap let me know, lol

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Krag 'Sporter' stocks spoke to many tastes. Some were tasteful and some had strong flavors:
ImageImageImage

gaerich

Post by gaerich »

interesting, lol

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

In addition to the "normal" 1896 mods, the rifle has also had its' sideplate changed - that is unusual.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dick: Is that a later model 1896 or an early model 1898 side-plate (before they changed the bevel on the upper rear corner)?Image

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Yes that's a later plate. It appears they came with the later plates when 92/96 serial #s got up around 22000, My lower number rifles, 13000, 9000, have the original 92 sideplate. Who knows when it was changed, might have been done when upgrading to 96 standard before the rifle left the armory, though many weren't changed.