Another Newbie, who needs help badly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

U.S. Military Krags
banditboy

Another Newbie, who needs help badly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by banditboy »

Hello all, just signed up. I just bought my 1st Krag rifle. I have a sporterized model that I've had for 15 years, & never even look at it, as I hate it. Got it at a auction, & I never it wasn't correct, but oh well.
I have very little knowledge of these. But this is stamped 1898, serial number 386852 The cartouche is there, 1902, & I suppose its the JSA dude as others show that same cursive writing, and that's who they say it is. And the proofmark P is there as well, with a small 2 in front of that. At the end of the stock is an H with 56 stamped behind that. The top strap & sight are not 1902 though, as a photo I saw said it was from another year, 1896. The wood is a different shade of brown also. Is this gun an 1898 model made in 1902??? It came with the bayonet & scabbard & the knife is stamped 1902 as well. I am wondering if I should if possible to get one trade out that top strap for the correct one?? thanks in advance.

butlersrangers

Re: Another Newbie, who needs help badly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by butlersrangers »

'banditboy': Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Don't take this the wrong way, but, you have to play a major role in educating yourself about Krags. It is easy to spend too much money and get burned. I suggest you take these steps:

1. Go to the top of this page and 'click' on "KCA website" when it appears. This will take you to a mainpage. Click on the 'tab' for "photos". Examine and read all that useful information.

2. Invest $20 and purchase Joe Poyer's book, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine", North Cape Publications. The book is not perfect, but, it is informative and generally good information.

3. Shoot some clear 3.2 to 5 megapixel close up photos of your Krag. (Focus on details like markings, model & serial #, and parts you have questions about). Post your pictures here with specific questions. Maximum attachment size is 768 KB.

4. Study this attachment: There is a language and nomenclature (part terms & names) that allow collectors to communicate efficiently with each other.

I wish to be helpful and for you to have an enjoyable experience with your Krag rifles and on this forum.
(p.s. Krag #386,852 would have been assembled around April, 1902. "JSA" are the initials of James Sumner Adams, Assistant Foreman, Springfield Armory). Image

craigster

Post by craigster »

If you hate the rifle so much, why are you even messing with it? Sell it to someone who will appreciate it for what it is and buy something that turns your crank.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I believe 'banditboy' now has two Krags. One that is 'sporterized' and one that is probably original. It would be interesting to see pictures of both to give him better feed-back.

banditboy

Post by banditboy »

Wow, didn't think I was in hostile territory again, by joining the site. But yes, my hatred is for the sporterized version I got at the auction, the one I just picked up, I do like. I will try to post some photos, neither is that special, I'm just curious.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Please refer to "reply #1".

This is not "hostile territory" at all, and your use of "again" is interesting. We are a very friendly group who have helped a lot of people, and plan on assisting a lot more. But, we do need good info with which to begin.

banditboy

Post by banditboy »

Hostile territory & again was aimed at being in the jungle of Vietnam in '74, nothing else. And yes, I understand the #1 reply, as I did not do any research on the piece, I just kinda knew what to look for as I have a few Trapdoors, & the parts are stamped pretty much the same. I just didn't care much for the what turns my crank comment.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Welcome to the forum.

Not everyone shares some of these opinions (i.e. what ever turns your crank)... and as Dick said, we are a helpful bunch here. I think the aforementioned "Crank" commenter just misunderstood your original post. Many of us have numerous Krags, including some sporterized versions (myself included)... and it's all a matter of taste, so no one should belittle you for not liking the sporter.

If you post some pictures, we'll give you some honest opinions and help, including the sporter. Heck, you might even find someone who is interested in obtaining your sporter. I look forward to seeing the pictures. ;D

craigster

Post by craigster »

Okay, how 'bout float your boat, or , trip your trigger ?