Cartouche

U.S. Military Krags
kw64

Cartouche

Post by kw64 »

My 1898 Krag rifle has no cartouche on the side of the stock near the wrist, but does have the proof mark under the stock. I do not think the stock was sanded as it looks appropriate to the period, with lots of hand oil where the bolt is located and where the left hand is placed. Were stocks ever released from the armory without the side cartouche? I have an old 06 and a 45-70 with period stocks so I have some faith in my eye for a period corrct stock, but am baffled. thanks

psteinmayer

Re: Cartouche

Post by psteinmayer »

It depends... Stocks were sometimes replaced by the arsenal during repair, and other times, stocks were replaced in the field. Stocks were also sometimes sanded during field repairs. My 1898 was most likely a field repair, and has no cartouche either... it does have a faint proof.

There are others here who can shed much better light on this than I can. Chuck or Dick, want to weigh in here?

kw64

Post by kw64 »

thank you. I suspected perhaps a sanding repair that did not involve the whole stock, but it seemed a bit odd.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

If I understand correctly, stocks that were replaced at a U.S. Arsenal or Armory received the "P" (script or later block letter) to indicate they were checked for proper function (Proof). They did not require "acceptance cartouche", since they had already been accepted into U.S. service.

Field replaced stocks would lack "P" and cartouche.

kw64

Post by kw64 »

thank you