What is it ???

European Krags
butlersrangers

Re: What is it ???

Post by butlersrangers »

I am a bit confused.

I did not say it was converted to .45-70.

I just suggested that .45-70 would be my first 'suspect'.

My second 'suspect' would be the similar 11.7mm Danish Rolling-Block cartridge.

In my opinion, it is essential that the dimensions of the chamber and bore, as well as, the quality of any 'alterations' be determined directly by a competent gun person and not based on internet guesses.

As FredC cautioned: "Beware of Bubba Work" on that barrel and chamber.

carbon outlaw

Post by carbon outlaw »

Thank you that is very wise advice ... I have never heard of a krag being converted to a 45-70 ... I have seen one that was converted to a 38-55 for cowboy shooting .. I think I am going to be very careful with this one Thank you very much Carbon Outlaw ...

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Post by Tom Butts »

I have seen Danish Krags converted to 45-70 like this one before. They are good shooters.

Chickenthief

Post by Chickenthief »

A few hundred were converted at the Royal Arsenal in Denmark for KGL (Royal Greenland Trade) in the mid 1950's.
They put a new barrel on, chambered for the Danish M1867 Rolling Block rifle in 11,4x51R and fixed sights.

img

Chickenthief

Post by Chickenthief »

As far as i have learned from Danish collectors far less than 50 were ever officially made.

What you have is hens teeth!!!
Most were destroyed in the bottom of Inuit fishing boats by saltwater and neglect.

And i as a Dane would give my right arm for that action ;-)
I have made a no limit offer for one in Denmark and noone have made contact in the past 6 months!