Help With Receiver Sight

European Krags
Oly Olson

Help With Receiver Sight

Post by Oly Olson »

I have a nice Kongsberg Krag long rifle that has, unfortunately, been drilled for a receiver sight. I have both the Williams and the Lyman, and the mounting points do not line up or match. Can y'all look at the posted picture and help me to figure out what receiver sight this rifle was set up for so that I can look for one?

Thanks,
Oly

Cat Man

Re: Help With Receiver Sight

Post by Cat Man »

Oly O,

You have a rifle that was arsenal drilled to accept the Norwegian Target or Sniper sight.

What does the receiver ring say on the left? Anything stamped above the serial number?
The M25 sniper rifles had a fully adjustable aperture rear sight that is mounted with three screws. Target shooters also had these sights installed.

If it is the M25 sniper, the receiver will be stamped with that information above the serial number and below the lion. A true sniper will also have a checkered stock from the arsenal. See pictures. Yours could have a replacement stock or may be a rifle that was returned to standard infantry rifle or set up for a private target shooters rifle that has the sight removed.

Need to see more details.

VERY RARE if the Sniper Version

Cat ManImageImage

Oly Olson

Post by Oly Olson »

Oly O,

You have a rifle that was arsenal drilled to accept the Norwegian Target or Sniper sight.

What does the receiver ring say on the left? Anything stamped above the serial number?

The M25 sniper rifles had a fully adjustable aperture rear sight that is mounted with three screws. Target shooters also had these sights installed.

GREAT information and THANKS. It certainly would have been nice for the M25 thing to be true, but no, there is no M25 data or stamps on the left receiver.

I'd come to the same conclusion regarding the sight just by looking at the bolt pattern, but it's fantastic to hear a confirmation. I can look for one now! Thanks a million, and if there's anything else I should know I'm all ears and very grateful. The rifle itself is in fine condition with a great bore, so I do very much want to get it back on the range in top shape.

Best,
Oly

Cat Man

Post by Cat Man »

We like photos here. Could you post a few more details and overall pictures of your rifle for us?

CAT Man

Oly Olson

Post by Oly Olson »

Thanks to your help I was able to figure out what kind of sight I needed. What's more, I was lucky to find one. Egads was it expensive! But, such is life - press on or give up. ;)

Here are some pics. Someone varnished the wood way back in time and everywhere it's been dinged or scuffed it's picked up dirt and oil, so that's not optimal but the good news is it's all numbers matching, no import marks, and the bore is perfect - glassy and sharp. I look forward to getting it out on the range.

ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Very cool!