Extractor in the way of bolt face.

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Whig

Re: Extractor in the way of bolt face.

Post by Whig »

That last picture seems to show the extractor notch that has been dug out or damaged. The edges are not smooth. Maybe the receiver has been altered or damaged and the extractor does not seat well.

I still question whether or not the barrel has been changed from original.

Might be more than just your "incompetence". We have seen many unusual problems with Krags before. Your's is not the first.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Legion' - The tip and claw on your extractor look fine to me.

Your "Go" gauge has very sharp corners and I suspect it does not fully enter into the "flange" that encircles the Bolt-Face.
It is probably hanging-up on the corners, where the 'Bolt-Flange' meets the Face. This would give a bogus 'fit', instead of going all the way to the bolt-face and allowing the bolt to close.

You can test this by trying the gauge against the bare bolt for correct contact. It is odd that only one gauge is beveled.

There seem to be brass particles and shavings present in your action, locking-lug recess, and extractor-notch.
Some cotton Q-tips with solvent will clean out this debris.

The Brass particles may be causing you difficulty.

(The brass is being shaved off of cartridge rims. This can happen as they pass across the 'open' groove, that should house the shaft of the magazine cut-off lever).

ImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

A picture of the 'tip' of the Krag magazine cut-off. The orange arrow points to the tip and it is in the position that allows cartridges to feed from the magazine.

If the cut-off is missing, there are sharp edges that the cartridge rim moves across. This can add roughness to the feed and shave brass off the rim.ImageImage

Legion

Post by Legion »

Is there any thread or retaining pin on the cutoff to keep it in place or can you just slide it out? Seems like they cut my in half and just left it in so that it wouldn't cause any problems.

I just need to figure out how to remove it so I can replace it with a new one.

Also can anyone recommend some trustworthy online sites for gunparts? Was looking at this one but I'm cautious when it comes to online stores.

https://www.granpasgunparts.com/

FredC

Post by FredC »

Grandpa's is highly recommended. You will probably never need the cutoff function. Applying a little medium strength Loctite could hold the remnant in place and not interfere with the function of no drill sights. Just be sure it is aligned correctly before applying. Blue 242 Loctite will wick in a fair depth if applied to the boundaries after correctly locating the remnant. Once it hardens it will be difficult to remove. The original cut off even though the cut off function is not needed will be easy to remove for thorough cleaning. Kind of depends what your goals are to which way is better.

I do not think we have seen photos of your Krag, seeing what you have and understanding your goals may get you some better answers.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It is likely your Krag once had a Redfield 102-K or 75-K receiver-sight on it.

The instructions for these sights initially suggested the magazine cut-off be thrown away. Eventually, it was realized the cut-off shaft was necessary for smooth cartridge feed.
Redfield instructions were changed to suggest sawing-off the lever and putting the shaft back in place.

(The Redfield sight attachment hooked into the 'cut-off' hole preventing the shaft from coming out, but, not actually preventing rotation).

Your cut-off shaft is likely held in place by friction and crud. If it is not properly aligned, it will cause roughness.

IMHO - You would be best off removing the shaft and replacing it with a complete original magazine cut-off.

(I believe you have a model 1898 Krag. The model 1898 cut-off is the 'short one' with an approximate 2 inch total length. These are easy to find and cost about $20).

Legion

Post by Legion »

Yep it's a 98. I'm just trying to restore it to military condition (I don't like sporterized rifles)

I'll post some better pics of it later, it's taken apart right now.