Barrel Band for Krag Sporter

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
RomeoJim

Barrel Band for Krag Sporter

Post by RomeoJim »

Is anyone aware of any user installable barrel bands available to place on a Krag sporter? I'm updating my Dad's old Model 1899 to use for deer hunting this year and would like to place swivel studs into the stock for ease of carry. But I have concerns about the weakness of the stock in the thin area beneath the magazine potentially resulting in fracture at that area while using a sling to transport in the field.

Thanks,

RomeoJim

RomeoJim

Re: Barrel Band for Krag Sporter

Post by RomeoJim »

I should add that that whoever sporterized this Krag removed the barrel band, unlike my grandfather's Model 1898 which still has one. If there's nothing out there I'll just use the noose type sling that I have for my O/U shotgun.

FredC

Post by FredC »

You are wise person to realize the need for something like a barrel band. Even without a sling the 2 trigger guard screws are too close together and many stocks have been broken by the action wanting to come out of the stock when it is fired.
In years gone by there was a commercial fix almost as good as a pillar. Butler's Rangers has posted a photo of the old ad. Getting an original barrel band and using wood working tools to fit it to your new location may be the best. Fitting a forward pillar would require metal working skills as well as wood working skills. I am not aware of any commercial pillars today.
There are swivels that attach to the barrel but that does not help with the weakness of just using just the 2 trigger guard screws to hold the receiver down.

RomeoJim

Post by RomeoJim »

FredC,
Thank you for the advice. I'd like to get a barrel band and do the wood working to fit it but don't know if I'll be able to find one.

RomeoJim

kerry49

Post by kerry49 »

I just bought a barrel band with the sling loop from movieman630 on ebay. I think he had more. This is probably what you're looking for. check that out.
Kerry

RomeoJim

Post by RomeoJim »

Kerry49,

Thanks for the tip!! Not sure if it will work but it's the best option I've seen so far!!

RomeoJim

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

A picture of your Krag's forearm might give a better idea of what might work.

Solutions also depend on type of front sight. If the front sight is easily removed, more possibilities exist. If the front sight base is brazed or soldered on, installing a band is trickier or more limited.

As others have mentioned, Krag Stocks tend to develop cracks if the barrel is not solidly 'held down' in the barrel-channel.

In the 1920's and 30's, gunsmiths put elegant barrel-bands on sporting rifles. In time, tastes and practices changed and barrel-bands went out of use.

If the wood will allow it, fitting an original Krag barrel-band is a great solution. Brownell's has a variety of commercial barrel-bands that might be adapted.

The Rice Company once had a practical solution. I have a Bubba 'altered' 1903 band that is a crude temporary fix. (Both are pictured).ImageImage

RomeoJim

Post by RomeoJim »

butlersrangers,

That looks like a nice adaptation!! I've enclosed a photo of my Dad's Model 1899 Krag. The stock is a Butler as was pointed out by a fellow member. The front sight is a Redfield and the blade at the top can be removed by removing a pin. Not sure if that will allow for enough room to slip and band over it but worth a try.

Thanks for your advice

RomeoJim

Post by RomeoJim »

I've enclosed a photo of my grandfather's Model 1898. It has a thin barrel band with a screw that goes through and anchors the stock to it. It can be seen not far behind the front swivel stud.Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I don't know the dimensions or if parts are still available, but, Savage use to have a barrel-band on their model 340 rifles.

With the removal of some wood, such a design could be retro-fitted to a Krag 'aftermarket' stock.ImageImage