Help finding correct rear sight on 1898 Krag

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
ArizonaTravis

Re: Help finding correct rear sight on 1898 Krag

Post by ArizonaTravis »

Sure thing Whig. Its a 1895 Krag that shoots awesome. I know its not completely original but that wasn't the goal when I bought it. I bought is as it was in pretty good shape and there wouldn't be any problems with shooting it. The only thing that is wrong with it is that it is missing the magazine cutoff. It's on the magazine fed setting anyway so that is a minor thing I would like to fix eventually. I just haven't found the best way of doing this without having to a lot of disassembly to it.

And if I haven't said it, thanks to all of you who replied with help and advice. It's nice to know that there is a community like this that exists.ImageImageImageImage

Local Boy

Re: Help finding correct rear sight on 1898 Krag

Post by Local Boy »

Hi Arizona Travis,

I have an 1899 carbine that was also dove tailed to allow for the Marbles sight mounted on the rifle when I purchased it.

Fortunately for me the original Krag rear sight holes were not filled-in and I was able to easily restore to its original 1899 configuration.

Your grandfather's Krag has a neat history and I would leave it as is with the exception of trying to stabilize the crack where the screw is on the left side.

Additionally, if you choose to do so, Marbles or Marbles like buckhorn sights are easily available on the web.

You can also fill-in the scope holes with set screws you may have laying around or you can acquire them from a gunsmith or hardware store.

Otherwise, trying to restore it to original condition would be a costly endeavor!

BTW: I think the front sight is kinda cool!ImageImage