Accidental discharge!

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Whig

Re: Accidental discharge!

Post by Whig »

I'd like to interject a comment here that I think is appropriate for some people reading these posts about the potential difficulties that could be experienced in working with Krags and the accidental discharge that Fred had.

I have dis-assembled dozens of Krags, removing triggers, sears, cleaning crud out, replacing springs, switching parts with other Krags, etc. I have never, not once, faced any of these unusual problems where the trigger group failed to fire or mis-fired or hung up unusually. I have always been able to dis-assemble these parts, al-be-it carefully, and never have had anything break. Once I had a magazine pin bend but I worked with it to get it to slide out with the help of a mallet and piece of wood where it did not break and could be reused.

So, don't be discouraged by the complexities at what you are reading here. The detail that has been exposed is simply an exercise at deep insight for analyzing one issue. These Krags are not difficult to work with. Just go slow and don't force anything and, if there are any questions, ask and people here will help deal with them.

Enough said. Sometimes it can get scary if you go too deep into problems.

Thanks, Fred!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I agree with 'Whig'. U.S. Krags generally come apart easily for me without destruction of parts.

If a pin is stubborn, apply penetrating oil, brush exposed surfaces with a toothbrush, and try driving the pin from the other direction. (Maybe it got reassembled incorrectly at some point of time).

I use steel & brass punches, a plastic or copper mallet, and support the parts on hardwood or a bronze plate.

It should not take excessive force. Getting a pin or screw to start moving is half the job.

p.s. - FredC, you are not "Bubba" and confession grants absolution.

FredC

Post by FredC »

ARRRG! Found the source of all the problems. I was just reassembling the sporter. All the parts were in a tool box/work bench that has been the project bench for all these years. What do I find in the drawer, see the photo, I think that was the spring that was supposed to have gone with the sporter. At the beginning of this thread I said that there was an original spring in this sporter. Evidentially the original spring is in the labeled bag! I looked at posts over at Practical Machinist, I started this project years ago(2013). The spring was in a bag in plain sight in the drawer. Years later when I finally finished this thing I picked up a random spring (Maybe on this box) and it went in the hole being anxious to finish I did not search the drawer for the right spring.
ARRGGH!!! All the pain!
Newly purchased barreled receiver and other Krag odds and ends are now in the drawer. The spring from Whigs receiver has just been installed in the sporter, the problem spring is next to the envelope, only explanation is I picked up the wrong one while the right one was right there. It is getting hard to remember what I did yesterday much less what I did 2 years ago.
ARRGH!

p.s. - FredC, you are not "Bubba" and confession grants absolution.
Thanks, BR.ImageImageImage

Whig

Post by Whig »

No accusations, Fred...Just popped into my head:

DEMENTIA - a collective term used to describe various symptoms of cognitive decline, such as forgetfulness. It is a symptom of several underlying diseases and brain disorders. Dementia is not a single disease in itself, but a general term to describe symptoms of impairment in memory, communication, and thinking. :D

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I think it's caused by silly life stuff and survival getting in the way of tinkering with Krags, Hunting and Shooting.