New to Krag's, already need a new stock.

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Knute1

Re: New to Krag's, already need a new stock.

Post by Knute1 »

Can we see more pictures showing the pieces and overall of the rifle? Maybe more advice can be had. Repairs are of priority at this point, but otherwise we can help with what you have despite the obvious aggravation you are dealing with.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I feel bad that this happened to "Operavoice". By all means, he should pursue resolution with the 'shipping' company.

On a more positive note, his Krag and Stock appear "altered/sportered or commercial".

(The story would be sadder, if this was a nice totally original military piece).

From the photo, it appears there is a heavy 'cheek piece' attached to the stock. The bolt-handle 'cut out area' does not appear to be standard model 1892/1896.

Since everything appears altered and refinished, it is likely a very nice, strong, near invisible repair can be done, with no real loss of value.

FWIW - A 'sportered' model 1898 stock can be altered in the 'bolt area' to accept model 1892 & model 1896 actions.

I agree that more pictures would foster constructive advice.ImageImageImageImage

FredC

Post by FredC »

I have never repaired a stock so not much to offer personally. This discussion just finished on another forum about which glue to use, some may find something of value.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/gunsmithing/best-glue-stock-repair-371422/

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Gorilla Glue is mentioned in the link above. I found it expands as it dries when trying to fix some cracks in an old clunker stock.

Stretch32

Post by Stretch32 »

I've got two '98 Krag sporter stocks I'm not planning to use after getting a nice one from a member here. If you decide you want a replacement stock let me know. I'd let them go for what I have in them which is A LOT less than they're going for on eBay.

Both would need the bolt handle modification as depicted above to fit an early receiver / bolt. One would need a rubber butt pad added since it was shortened about 1"-2' to accommodate one.

Stretch

craigster

Post by craigster »

Gorilla Glue has its' place, but not in stock repair.

operavoice

Post by operavoice »

Pmd about the stocks. Definitely interested.

operavoice

Post by operavoice »

The more I dug into the old stock, the more it is not worth repairing.
At some point, a P.O. cut the wood behind and thusly eliminating the rear barrel band.

I'm not a gunsmith, but I do understand quite a bit about stress points.
Without that band, when the cartridge goes bang the entire action free-floats placing all of the stress on the wrist and the trigger screws.
Lucky that no one got impaled.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

You are correct. The Krag trigger-guard screws are very close together. The barrel needs to be held in place in the stock, with some variety of barrel-band (or 'anchor' screw), to prevent the barrel from rising and putting tremendous torque and stress on the stock, (in an area that is compromised and essentially weak).

operavoice

Post by operavoice »

After getting one of those two stocks (Thank you again!!)
. . . Spent about 45 minutes going at the wood with various Dremel cutting and sanding bits, getting the action to plunk into the stock.
Made a nice little whoopdeedoo in the wood while doing it, but the action beds in perfectly.

Brass came in today, so, off to the reloading section to learn from other's experiences before I pick a powder and a bullet.