Interesting peep over on DoubleGunShop boards

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Hoot

Interesting peep over on DoubleGunShop boards

Post by Hoot »

Link => http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=555451#Post555451

Hopefully one does not have to be a member to view...

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: Interesting peep over on DoubleGunShop boards

Post by Ned Butts »

A Rice sight on steroids!!!!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

That is the most complicated 'simple' Krag sight, that I have ever seen.

I have never seen this item before. Nor do I recognize any origin or parts from another sight 'family'.

The 'Safety-Lever' is not a standard Springfield Armory 'Safety'. Part of this sight's retention may be a screw, that goes through the early 'grooved' Bolt-Collar and also retains the shaft of the Safety.

The double-screw "L"-shaped side-plates, appear to clamp the extractor, as a forward anchor point.

A mighty curious sight that was skillfully made!

The main body looks like it could have been machined from a Luger frame.ImageImageImage

craigster

Post by craigster »

A lot of time, thought, and skill went into making that sight.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Ned nailed it. In spite of all the work that went into this sight, it is not much more sophisticated than the Leroy Rice sheet metal sights.

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Quality carftsmanship!

You guys sure FredC didn't have something to do with it???

FredC

Post by FredC »

Quality carftsmanship!

You guys sure FredC didn't have something to do with it???

Was not me. Some portions appear well made. I can not figure out what all the screws do. From the photos, I have no idea how the elevation is adjusted. Is the windage adjusted by loosening the screw on one side and tightening the opposite? Not a bad system, I did the same on this laser sight on my son's 45/70. A lot better laser sights can be had today, not so when I made this one from a pocket laser pointer.Image

Hoot

Post by Hoot »

My best guess for elevation is the peep is mounted to/integral with a leaf spring and the large knob has a cam or stepped surfaces under said spring. The remainder is something of a mystery. I'd love to see it in person.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Hoot, that could be as there is a locknut on the opposite side to hold the set elevation? The 2 screws on each side on the forward part are something of a mystery also. A lot going on there.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FWIW - My take on this overly complex sight-arrangement. (Sights fascinate me).

Picture #1: A 'modernized' early bolt collar, that Springfield updated to take the later type of safety-lever was used.
However, our "Tinker-Gunsmith" reopened the 'filled' cross-pin hole. He used an early 'pinned' Safety-Lever.
The Safety-Lever and rear of the 'Peep'-Sight are retained by a cross-screw.

Picture #2: The 'Peep' is a hole through the short leg of an "L" shaped spring. The spring is retained at the front by a large headed screw, which also allows it to pivot, sideways.
Windage is adjusted and locked by two opposing machine screws (red arrows).
Elevation is controlled by a numbered Knob. The shank of the knob may have four flats of varying heights (green arrows). The shank is retained on the right side of the sight by a 'slotted-washer/nut' and maybe a hidden pin.

Picture #3: The sight is held in place on the bolt by a cross-screw through the Bolt-Sleeve and by two side-plates that clamp the Krag Extractor. (Anchor-Screws marked with purple arrows).

BTW - This begs the question ... did this Sight require partial disassembly in order to remove the Krag's Bolt? ImageImageImage