Paint fixes everthing.

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
FredC

Re: Paint fixes everthing.

Post by FredC »

The title says it all. Could have left the paint on and been happy with a strange looking Krag that would have gotten more that the usual attention. If you put a good used stock or a good reproduction on it will look like any other krag.
Who in their right mind would have stolen it with that painted stock, everyone in the world would have known who it belonged to.
Insert a couple of smileys here.
Actually that is even worse than my Enfield stock with the 3 broken drills in it. Well maybe it has more but I found 3 so far.

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Maybe it's the lost Hemingway/Picasso commission rifle!

I heard a story about Ernest Hemingway commissioning his friend Picasso to design a stock for Ernest's favorite Krag rifle...

It was no longer Hemingway's favorite Krag rifle after Picasso was finished.

Just Kidding!!!

You have a very interesting palette to paint with.

Very unique... Actually, I'd love to get my hands on the stock and find out what I could do with it???

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Was there a serial number on the loading gate?
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

fumehappy

Post by fumehappy »

Butlers,
That glob of paint you pointed to is actually a block of metal. I figured it had something to do with the original cleaning rod configuration.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It is called a "Rod-Stop". It has a threaded hole that the Cleaning-Rod screwed into.

fumehappy

Post by fumehappy »

There appears to be a "3" on the loading gate. No other serial number is visible. I have not disassembled it though.

fumehappy

Post by fumehappy »

Okay, so the final chapter for now...
I was able to glue a piece of walnut veneer over the bad section on the stock. Had to spot glue a few bubbles, then scraped/sanded down flat. Used red mahogany stain, followed by about 5 coats of formby's tung oil. I contemplated getting a new 1892 stock and putting a full length barrel on it, but since the receiver already had those four damn holes from a scope, I figured it would never be perfect anyways. I have not shot it yet. ImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'fumehappy' - You are doing a wonderful job of rehabilitating that 'Bubba-ed' Krag.

You are going to end up with a wonderful little Woods Rifle!

It should get a barrel-band or 'barrel anchor-screw' to prevent the barrel from lifting and putting torque on the stock and splitting it, (behind the magazine-well area).

What are you considering for Sights?

It appears the receiver was drilled for a Williams mount.

'Filler-Plug Screws' would dress up those wounds.

Its kind of like the 'Prodigal Son'. This re-claimed Krag may become your Favorite!

FredC

Post by FredC »

You kept stripping and it looked worse and worse. Now the stock looks good again. WOW!
What Butlersrangers said about the stock breaking is doubly important because of your forward sling mount. Carrying it with a sling will put a lot of stress on the stock.
The barrel band I did for Romeo Jim worked like a champ. He did send me pictures but I have not resized them or had a chance to check on future availability of the Savage band. Another member added a original barrel band to a sporter stock if I remember correctly but that took more skill then I have and put off Jim also.

Link : http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1519133322

FredC

Post by FredC »

Just checked with Numrich Arms and 1300 bands are available. So no shortage there. In searching for Savage bands installed on Krags there was some talk of them being a poor solution. Maybe it was the quality of the installation. Other than doing the original band installation that Local Boy did on his, or the suggestion Parashooter made, I do not know of any other easy solution.

Jim returned the installation kit I made and it would be ready to go as soon as I find it?!? Making another escutcheon, screw and band nut would be involved in doing another kit. Installation time is probably a little over an hour. Jim did his when he took off from work because he was sick and I think it took him a couple of hours.
When I get a chance I will organize and shrink his photos and add them to the original thread.