Paint fixes everthing.

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Kooler

Re: Paint fixes everthing.

Post by Kooler »

Good job on fixing up a disaster! Looks really good. Since the receiver is D&T why don`t you mount a scope on it and be able to get full potential of accuracy. My " 98" and my Norwegian were sporterized long ago and both have scopes and both are quite accurate. With cast bullets each are capable of 1/2" 5 shot groups at 50 yards.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The spread on the tapped holes looks like it might be for a William's Mount.

Maybe 'carbon outlaw' can verify and help you on that one. He appears to be familiar with the William's Scope Mount.

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Outstanding work Fumehappy!!!

I believe putting an external barrel band on your project Krag would take away from the nice clean Mannlicher lines.

I wonder if you might be able to use a barrel band sling swivel mount to meet your needs???

http://gentrycustom.com/barrel-bands/

Mannlicher style stock slings are readily available as well.

https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_Services/item_info.asp?Brand_id=4271&ST=Mannlicher%20Style%20Front%20Loop#.W-kFG9QrKAk

Attached are photos of my 1903 MannlicherSchnauer sling swivel.

Hardest part would probably be drilling the hole for the sling bolt.
ImageImageImageImage

FredC

Post by FredC »

That is a nice looking solution to adding a barrel band to a Krag. Drilling the cross hole so it provides neutral or upward tension to the stock would be a trick with hand tools. Not hard with a milling machine or maybe a drill press.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I was wrong about fumehappy's 'hole configuration' being for a Williams' Scope-Mount. It appears Williams used a 3-hole pattern.

I suppose wide four-hole spread could be for an unusual Weaver plate or maybe Griffith & Howe or Paul Yaeger mount?

(I've attached altered pictures posted by 'fumehappy' and 'Carbon Outlaw'. I trust they won't mind).ImageImage

FredC

Post by FredC »

The hole spacing on Fumehappy's does not match the 4 hole mounts. Perhaps someone with a Williams mount could measure the spacing on theirs. Fumehappy's may be drilled so a Williams mount could use the forward or back set of three holes for customizing the eye relief?

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Here's an interesting possibility???

Previous listing on EBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-vintage-Weaver-N1-3-4-scope-side-mount-complete-w-screws-/173593290289?oid=192610525518

The listing also includes a post of the installation instructions which indicates that a Weaver N2 (low position) or N3 (high position) mount should be used for Krags.

The N3 mount, shown below, has a hole spacing pattern that doesn't seem to match, however, various other Weaver N-Type mounts that I've seen appear to have wider hole spacing like the N4???ImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The holes appear equally spaced instead of 'paired up' (Weaver-style).

'FredC' has a probable observation.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Originally, Williams listed the Remington 8/81 mount as also for the Krag. That mount had four equally spaced holes, then they went with a 3 hole mount for the Krag. They don't make the side mounts anymore. I just sold my last 81 4 hole mount not long ago. The rear hole on the OP's receiver looks out of alignment with the other three.

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

ja, jeg forstr n mine Krag venner!