Sometimes Even "Bubba" Gets it Right

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
carbon outlaw

Re: Sometimes Even "Bubba" Gets it Right

Post by carbon outlaw »

wow nice I would never have thought of cutting down a replacement stock .... nice bluing job i really like your rifle !!!!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Sounds like your stock started out much the same as mine too: My 24" cutdown sporter is wearing a Bishop stock as furniture. It's a big ole hunk 'O wood too with the cheek pad and all. It could probably stand to be thinned down some too. I converted the old girl into a Bench Rest Cast Bullet rig, so that big stock isn't a problem. However, I did used to hunt with it back when I first got it in the early 1980s. It was a bit cumbersome as compared to a carbine or rifle.

Dads Krag

Post by Dads Krag »

wow nice I would never have thought of cutting down a replacement stock .... nice bluing job i really like your rifle !!!!

Sounds like your stock started out much the same as mine too: My 24" cutdown sporter is wearing a Bishop stock as furniture. It's a big ole hunk 'O wood too with the cheek pad and all. It could probably stand to be thinned down some too. I converted the old girl into a Bench Rest Cast Bullet rig, so that big stock isn't a problem. However, I did used to hunt with it back when I first got it in the early 1980s. It was a bit cumbersome as compared to a carbine or rifle.

I paid $15 for the stock. The owner of the shop was a good guy and he was more interested in seeing something done with a hunk of wood that had been collection dust in the dark back room than making money.

After all, how many people come in looking for a Krag stock these days? It did have some minor checks in the butt, but I filled them with CA and they are stable and hardly noticeable. Besides, I think they add character to the 118 year old rifle.

The stock was a club. I know there was more wood on the shop floor than was left on the rifle once I got done.

When I'm poking around on the ground or in an elevated stand that has sight distances of less than 100 yds, it is my weapon of choice. I even occasionally sit in my tri-pod stand with it and it has 1 long shooting lane of about 275yds. The buck I took in the pictures above was from that tri-pod 120 paces away standing 20 yds inside the brush. It took me several minutes to figure out a sight picture using features in the foreground. When I finally made the shot it was far more satisfying than any I've made at more than 2x that distance with optics.

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Beautiful rifle Dads Krag! Nice clean lines and wonderful finish make for a hansom shooting piece.

Did you do the bluing yourself or have someone else do it?

BTW: "Bubba Gets it Right" might be a fun name for a gun smith shop.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

A matter of perspective:

We all like to see and enjoy well preserved Krags in their issued configuration. For approximately 35 years, (1894-1930), U.S. Krag-Jorgensen rifles and carbines saw use as military arms or continued on in military match shooting.

(Yes, I know, some may have lurked in lockers on U.S.N. ships in the 1930's and 40's. In recent years, there is a re-appearance of issue Krags in 'Vintage' and 'Roosevelt' matches).

But, for over 100 years, a significant part of the Krag Story has been the use across America of altered Krags as Family Hunting Rifles.

Some modified Krags would make a Gargoyle Wince.

It's nice to see a handsome one and the Hunting Tradition continue.

Dads Krag

Post by Dads Krag »

Beautiful rifle Dads Krag! Nice clean lines and wonderful finish make for a hansom shooting piece.

Yes it is "rust blued". Post #4 has a picture of the 1st rust cycle. I got the desired hue after 4 rust/boil/card cycles. Sometimes it takes more.

It is my 3rd rifle that I rust blued. The 2 previous were 98 Mausers that were extensively "sporterized" to the point of being custom rifles that were restocked, 3-position safeties, Timney Sportsman triggers, the whole 9 yards. Only the action and barrel were retained on one and the other utilized a commercial action with a military take-off barrel.

Dads Krag

Post by Dads Krag »

The metal was "rust blued". The last pic on post #4 in this thread was taken after the 1st rust cycle. The metal is rusted using a solution that (hopefully) gives an even coat of rust. It is then boiled to change the oxide and then it is carded to reveal the black oxide underneath. The 1st cycle usually reveals a charcoal gray color. That rifle took 4 cycles to get the darkness desired.

This is the 3rd (CF) rifle I have built/restored. All had similar wood/metal finishes.

img

Top: Completed 2014, 8X57IS, VZ-500 commercial Yugoslavian intermediate length LR M98 action with "butterknife" bolt handle & lever floorplate release, $45 K98 take off barrel custom contour, 3-pos M98 style safety, Timney Sportman trigger, English walnut Oberndorf Classic stock. 2700 fps 200gr Speer Hotcore. Leupold 3-9 X 33 compact scope. Shoots < 1/2" 3-shot groups @ 100 yds.

Middle: Completed 2016, 8mm-06 Ackley Improved, 1943 J P Sauer & Sone K98 action, 1904 Portuguese Vergueiro bottom metal with hinged floorplate, trigger bow release, lengthened to 3.450" internal magazine length, 98/29 take off barrel cut back to 26" custom contour, 3-pos M70 style safety, Timney Sportman trigger, 1/4 sawn black walnut classic sporter stock, Pachmayr "Decelerator" recoil pad. 2900 fps 200gr Speer Hotcore. Kales 3-9 x 42 "American" scope. Shoots just over 1/2" 3-shot groups @ 100 yds

Bottom: Completed 2017, 1899 vintage 1898 Springfield 30/40 Krag. Early 20th century sporterized, 22" barrel, Bishop black walnut Monte Carlo stock cut down to replicate the original modified military stock, Pacific K-2 receiver sight. 2580 fps 160gr Hornady FTX.

Dads Krag

Post by Dads Krag »

Double post deleted

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Wonderful skills you've been blessed with!

I'm always interested in the journey folks take when restoring a firearm.

Thanks for sharing.

Dads Krag

Post by Dads Krag »

Wonderful skills you've been blessed with!

I'm always interested in the journey folks take when restoring a firearm.

Thanks for sharing.

Sometimes a job well done consists of several skillfully corrected screw-ups.