Unserialized Krag Sporter

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
butlersrangers

Re: Unserialized Krag Sporter

Post by butlersrangers »

The 'Whitened' markings look a bit 'worn-down' to me.

The OP's picture is not well focused. The white paint is distracting and masks detail.

Better lighting and a sharper focused picture might be more revealing.

Just my humble opinion, but, I look first for a simple solution for lack of serial number. (removed?)

Accurately measuring widths at rear of receiver with micrometer or caliper and comparing results with another model 1896 receiver would probably tell all. Image

wellfedirishman

Post by wellfedirishman »

Lots more pics now that I have it in hand, all around the receiver and action and barrel.

I have felt carefully on the left side receiver where the writing is and feel no evidence of wear or difference in level or anything that indicates removal of metal.

Your all input is appreciated. See pics in directory below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2uq2MHvxUZtbFRhVVR3LVBCQnM

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Your pictures confirm this Krag's metal has been considerably polished, altered, and refinished.

Actually the receiver markings and "P" marking on barrel are rather faint and indicate metal was removed.

The magazine-gate hinge pin is missing its small 'plate' that normally covers the carrier-arm cam and spring-tip. ('P' in the sketch).Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'wellfedirishman' - On close scrutiny of your photos, I think your action might be marked "model 1898" and is just faint from very heavy polishing and removal of metal.

Your magazine-gate appears to be a model 1896 gate. Your bolt is a model 1898 bolt. I believe, your side-plate appears to be a 'late-type' model 1898 plate. (The upper-rear corner is beveled differently than earlier plates).

The bolt-recess area, of your receiver's body, appears way too clean and sharp for an 1896 'flange' to have been removed.

FWIW - As 'issued', model 1898 side-plates have a thicker tenon or 'lip' at the front edge, (maximum thickness of approximately .155", as opposed to, .133" thickness of tenon on model 1896 side-plate). A correct model 1898 side-plate will not fit or insert into the machined cavity of an 1896 receiver.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Some 'Side-Plate' photos:

1. 1896 Side-Plate (top) contrasted with final type of 1898 Side-Plate (bottom). Notice bevel at upper rear corner. (Earlier 1898 Side-Plates have a bevel similar to 1896 Plate).

2. 1896 Side-Plate tenon is .133" thick, as opposed to, .155" thickness setting of vernier-caliper.

3. Front tenon-edge .133" of 1896 Side-Plate (left) contrasted with .155" tenon of late-type of 1898 Side-Plate. ImageImageImage

wellfedirishman

Post by wellfedirishman »

Butlersrangers and others, thank you very much for the detailed info. I appreciate the expertise.