Hello, ID help please!

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
SM

Hello, ID help please!

Post by SM »

Hi everyone. Me and dad the other day was going through his gun safe, and there are a lot of guns he inherited from one of my Uncles. We came across a gun I later identified as a Springfield marked Krag rifle.

It says 1895 on the barrel and a serial number of 25,461. However from seeing other pictures, I can tell the one we have here is different. It seems to have a stock that isn't original or comes nowhere even close to resembling the original. And the stock completely eliminates the side cartridge. Why someone would want to eliminate an iconic quirky feature like that is beyond me. The gun alsp has a Redfield peep sight.

So what am I dealing with here? I know probably next to nothing about Krag rifles. Is this some sort of weird version of a krag? I'd say it's not an original stock. I can't say whether it'd be worth anything since the stock is not original and the cartridge was eliminated.

Thanks

SM

Re: Hello, ID help please!

Post by SM »

By the way here's a picture of it

img

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'SM' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

There is a good chance your Father's Krag, #25641, started out life as a model 1896 carbine. The early 1896 carbines were dated "1895". Your serial number falls in a range of carbines.

Your Dad's Krag has definitely been restocked with a commercial stock for 'Hunting'. The Redfield 'peep' sight (model 70-K) was a popular commercial sight for hunting. Collectors refer to this model as a 'No Drill" sight, since it did not require any new holes. It used the side-plate screw opening, (Redfield supplied a longer screw with the sight), and the magazine cut-off lever opening. (The cut-off lever was simply removed).

I am not sure what you are telling us was removed or altered by "cartridge eliminated"?

I suspect you mean the Krag Magazine-Gate (or door) was altered on the right-side? If this is so, it greatly destroys the desirability of a Krag.

Clear pictures, of the right-side of your action and the front-sight/muzzle area of the barrel, will get you further information on your Krag.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Howdy, and welcome to the forum!

Butlersrangers said it all. It is a very beautiful sporter/hunting Krag though. Even if the magazine gate was removed and/or modified (this was sometimes done to slim the rifle down a tad), it should still prove to be a very useful hunting rifle and good shooter. I look forward to seeing the right side. If the receiver has not been tampered with, then all is not lost, as replacement parts are available to restore the loading gate.

SM

Post by SM »

Thanks guys. More pictures:

It's a little dirty but I'm going to be cleaning it up a little bit. I also found 30-40 Krag ammo at a local Sport shop and I want to try to shoot a few rounds off. The rifling seems to be in pretty good condition. The receiver doesn't seem to be tampered with, but I've never seen an original one in person to compare. They did remove the magazine cutoff switch though, It wouldn't have been useful without a magazine anyway hah.

img
img
img
img

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'SM' - Your Krag may still be a repeater with a concealed spring & follower (hidden by the stock). Such adaptations load by inserting cartridges, base first, backwards into the opening (left-inside receiver), that the cartridges feed out of. Such alterations, usually accept only 3 or 4 cartridges and the bolt has to be open to load.

Your ramp front-sight is an old commercial one.

Nice old family 'Deer Rifle', treasure and enjoy!

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

The receiver has been altered past the point of where it could be restored simply by purchasing a few parts - but that would not mean that it does not have a functioning (even if lesser capacity) magazine. Only way to find out is to feed in a few rounds (I'm guessing 3) as Chuck suggested.