Hi, new member requesting help

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Dick Hosmer

Re: Hi, new member requesting help

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Well, if you figure the ammo is worth $30, that puts the guns at $85 each - 1950s prices - they'd have to be awfully bad to not be worth it. You should be able to triple your money at least, unless they are both absolute turds.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Seems to me that it is important to learn how the 6.5x55 to 6.5 MS conversion was accomplished. Was the old chamber bored out & a new piece of barrel inserted & chambered? Or was the original barrel simply set back & rechambered?

IIRC, the original 6.5 M-S shot a 160 grain bullet about 2000 fps, out of a very short barrel, with a case that is much smaller in diameter than the 6.5x55. Pressures might be just a bit higher than the original 6.5x55 loads. If the chamber is an insert, you probably do not know much about the steel in the insert.

If it was my rifle, I would stick with loads that did not exceed the original M-S load.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

There is lots of loading data available for 6.5 X 54mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer. I would stick to 'Starting Loads' which usually prove to be quite accurate and efficient. I would recommend 160 grain round nose projectiles and neck-sizing fired cases. (Back the reloading die off a turn).
The 160 grain loading earned the 6.5mm M-S its good reputation and is probably what your altered Norwegian Krag action was adapted to feed back in the 1950s.
Oddly, the Mannlicher-Schoenauer and Krag actions both have the reputation of being 'butter smooth'. However, they are booth fussy about over all cartridge length and bullet shape & contour - IMHO and experience.

Skookum

Post by Skookum »

Hi Chuck,

I'm getting into this a bit late, but I would certainly believe your Krag is chambered for 6.5x54 M-S. I have one that has been fitted with the chamber insert by the Canadian Importer. The left side of the barrel is stamped "6.5 MM Mannlicher". It is very accurate and shoots to the same point of aim with everything from 100gr. to 160gr bullets out to 200 yards. Image

Skookum

Post by Skookum »

2Image

chuck0990

Post by chuck0990 »

Finally scored some 6.5x54 M-S without breaking the bank or having to go across the border to find it!! 156 gr PPU $36.95/ box CDN $ Now I just need to get a permit to try it out :)

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I seem to recall these Canadian rifles being made with some sort of chamber insert rather than setback and rechambered. That was one importer, hard to say if it was done by them or some other gunsmith. At the time they were imported, as BR said, Dominion was making 6.5x54MS ammo. I note a couple holes on the left side of the receiver. You guys remember the fellow who ran across one like that, he wound up restoring it as a rare sniper rifle? Williams at one time also made a mount. A filler was made for the lightening cut and attached with screws, then a side mount attached to the filler with screws. They don't make them anymore.