On the horns of a "semi-dilemma"...

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Hoot

On the horns of a "semi-dilemma"...

Post by Hoot »

Some time ago, I picked up a lovely piece of wood for a '98 Krag with the thought of building a classic sporter. Time passes and a suitable un-tampered with rifle gets added to the mix (e.g., no hole-filled receiver). This particular rifle is cosmetically challenged to the point that all metal will need to be refinished no matter which way this turns out. My 'dilemma' is that, with correct military wood, it becomes a complete, correct rifle...although refinished. If one proceeds with the sporter plan, he would be either cutting the barrel (a shame for the mil-surp crowd) or building a sporting rifle with the original 30" tube.

I acknowledge that the 20-24" barrel with roughly half that length of forearm is an American convention but have seen some English rifles with long barrels and short forearms. My tastes run towards English/European rifles from the early 1900's. Still, I wonder if 30" becomes way too long.

And part of me doesn't want to mess with a rifle which could easily be put back to military condition, albeit either with poor metal or refinished.

I also know it's my rifle to do with as I please.

Any comments or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Hoot

butlersrangers

Re: On the horns of a "semi-dilemma"...

Post by butlersrangers »

'Hoot' - IMHO you would be wise to hold out or trade for a Krag that is already cut-down and has a good metal appearance.

You never did state the condition of the bore on your full length barrel.

I see no harm in leaving it as a 30 inch barrel. If you later find a sportered Krag, it will likely fit your crafted stock.

Hoot

Re: On the horns of a "semi-dilemma"...

Post by Hoot »

I see, as usual, I posed a rather clumsy question. Apologies.

It would probably be clearer this way: To restore the rifle, I would need all the wood for $X, likely most of the stock metal for $Y and, at the end, I would have a 'correct', worn rifle worth $Z. What would you estimate the costs and value to be?

On the other hand, sporterizing it could eliminate the possibility of future restoration, particularly if cutting the barrel. And I run the risk of being exposed to the wrath of the MilSurp gods. ;)

The barreled action is rust and pit free; just no real finish left. "Patina" is often (mis)used to describe what I have. The bore is very good but probably not excellent.

Now that I've been thinking on it, I will probably fit it to the stock, leaving the barrel full length and the metal bits as is. That gives me the possibility of finding another, more suitable action in the future and will also give a clear answer regarding barrel length.

Thank you for your thoughts,
Hoot