Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Max1066_33

Re: Question about sporterized.

Post by Max1066_33 »

Barrel length is 30 inches.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

If your bore is decent, you have a full length Krag that may be worth restoring.

As others have written, a restoration would require a hand-guard (original or reproduction for the 1902 sight), a front barrel-band, and a replacement forearm.

Reproduction wood pieces can be ordered from a gentleman who is listed in the KCA Classifieds. The front barrel band shows up on ebay and at gun shows. (These parts will often cost about $200-$225, total).

WARNING - It is easy to sink more money into a restoration than the rifle is worth (to others). You can always enjoy and shoot your Krag, as it is.

Take your time, shop around, buy a basic reference book and decide if you like Krag rifles. (Poyer's - "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine", costs around $20). Nice complete Krags show up sometimes in the $600 to $700 range.

I am a 'stickler' for excellent bores. In my experience, when Krag bores are Dark, they never clean up. "Strong Rifling" is a scam term for rusted & pitted bore with visible rifling. Such barrels may still shoot decent, but, they collect fouling and never get clean. The early Krag ammo was very corrosive.

A picture of a similar Krag in process of restoration:Image

Max1066_33

Post by Max1066_33 »

Thanks for the info. Restoring it is just a hobby for me. So I'm taking my time.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

restoring a Krag can be fulfilling. I have a friend on FB who has restored several. Take your time and enjoy it, and you'll love what you've accomplished. As Chuck said, get a book and get familiar with all things Krag.

BTW, don't know why I missed it before, but your sling swivel is not standard either, and will also need to be replaced.

Cheers.
Paul