Hello Krag collectors!

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
CM2Wally

Hello Krag collectors!

Post by CM2Wally »

Greetings from Virginia! Im new to forums, snd to Krags! I recently picked up a very unique sporter 1898, and im looking for ANY info i can find... A qick search told me the birthdate to be in 1901..... Can any one say if i did ok at $400? Thanks!!Image

psteinmayer

Re: Hello Krag collectors!

Post by psteinmayer »

Hi Wally,

Welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of Krags!

Your sporter appears to be a cutoff model 1898 rifle, with the stock at the end of the barrel ala Mannlicher style. It appears to be a Krag stock which has been sanded and modified for a sportier appearance, including the addition of the heel under the wrist (a common modification with sporters). A close-up picture of the receiver area showing the markings and rear sight will reveal more about that, but it appears that you have some kind of receiver peep style sight (can't tell what it is). In my humble opinion, $400 is about an average price for a good sporter. Ultimately, Krags are worth what someone is willing to pay for it. This should be a decent shooter. How's the bore look?

Beware, Krags can be addicting!!!

Cheers

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'CM2Wally' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

I think your aftermarket rear sight may be a Rice.

Krags altered into 'Hunting' rifles generally are priced around $300 and don't sell too well. Their value is related to utility and the sum of good parts.Image

CM2Wally

Post by CM2Wally »

It certainly looks like a rice, compared to that pic butlersrangers! Thank you! And it seems I didn't get a screaming deal, but I'm within the ball park anyway... Around here I haven't seen a sporter priced under 700... So I don't feel bad about the purchase..
Pstienmayer, the bore looks good! And I think your correct about the stock, it appears original, and the "pistol" grip was grafted in..(very well I might add, but is now showing its age..) I look forward to finding some rounds and playing with it!!

And, as requested....