Need Info about inherited 30.40 Krag

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Jillie

Need Info about inherited 30.40 Krag

Post by Jillie »

I was inherited a Springfield 1898 30.40 Krag. After doing my research, I'm aware that my serial number is too high to be the original models and it appears to most likely sporterized. Although, according to who gave it to me, it wasn't some "Bubba" job. Can someone tell me the potential value and other information relating to this gun??ImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: Need Info about inherited 30.40 Krag

Post by butlersrangers »

'Jillie' - Your inherited Model 1898 Krag, #480824, was manufactured near the end of Krag production. Some authorities would place it at around September, 1903.

It has indeed been altered into a Hunting Rifle, likely in the 1930s. The work appears to have been done by a professional Gun Smith.

It likely is still chambered for the .30-40 Krag (cartridge). But, check to see if any numbers have been struck on the barrel near the chamber. Sometimes, back in that era, Krags were altered for other cartridges.

The rear 'peep' sight is commercial. It is a Lyman #34 receiver sight, that was discontinued during WW2. The sight could be worth around $150 to a 'sight collector'.

Part of your Krag's bolt assembly, (the 'grooved' bolt-sleeve), is from a model 1892 Krag.

Placing a dollar value on your altered Krag is tricky. It does not appear to be the work of a famous shop or gun-smith. Most collectors are only interested in 'Krags As Issued' or the 'finest quality classic hunting conversions' by famous gun-makers.

IMHO - Most 'Sporters' get priced for their utility value (around $300-$400) and are very slow sellers.

(p.s. It would be a good idea to take that G.I. 'carry strap' off of your Krag. It is not a rifle sling and detracts from your rifle's nice appearance).