Krag oddity + Krag good fortune

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
gnoahhh

Krag oddity + Krag good fortune

Post by gnoahhh »

At a recent gun auction I lucked into an oddity. Someone went to a lot of trouble to alter a Krag action to side eject. The little button on the side is the outer part of a spring loaded ejector. Depressing the knurled surface (under my thumb) pivots the ejector blade out of the way manually, to allow complete rotation of the bolt for removal. Hopefully the third pic shows the ejector blade passing through the head of the bolt, a la '03 Springfield. Perhaps not a novel idea, but you should see the workmanship. Cutting the perfect tiny slots in the receiver and bolt was no mean feat.

img

img

img

For the grand sum of $30 (evidently I was the only Krag guy in the room) I got: The complete '98 action (minus extractor) with headless cocking piece and aftermarket Bold trigger, another stripped receiver ('99) which someone started to convert into either a single shot or flush magazine system, an unused Redfield No-Drill sight (with screw and clamp), lower band w/swivel, extra cocking piece, miscellaneous screws.

Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and again!

img

madsenshooter

Re: Krag oddity + Krag good fortune

Post by madsenshooter »

Interesting modification. I wonder why piddle with it, unless whoever did it was planning on scoping the rifle.

gnoahhh

Post by gnoahhh »

That's what I figured.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

I think this is the basic material for a target or varmint rifle intended to use an external adjusting scope like a Fecker.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

$30 well spent!!

gnoahhh

Post by gnoahhh »

I think this is the basic material for a target or varmint rifle intended to use an external adjusting scope like a Fecker.

Quite possible, but speaking as an owner of other Krag varminters with Feckers/Unertls, the simple expedient with such a rig is to simply remove the original ejector and pluck the empty out of the gun with a fingertip after it is withdrawn from the chamber.

Either way, I guess yet another Krag sporter is now in my future. :)

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

Thank you for sharing this.
Steve
The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson