30/40 Krag Still Brings Home the Bacon

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Dads Krag

30/40 Krag Still Brings Home the Bacon

Post by Dads Krag »

img

Not a pretty rack, but a mature buck none the less. From the spread at the antler bases I guess about 3 1/2 years old.

Most challenging shot I ever made. 120 yds, 20yds inside the brush. Iron (peep) sights, facing almost straight on. All I could see was his chest, the top of his legs & the white spot on his nose. I had to study the sight picture for a few reference point on the tree that was next to him as when I looked through the aperture I had a hard time picking an aim point on the deer's chest. I hit him dead center through the windpipe just above the midpoint between his chin & brisket. 160gr Hornady FTX over 49.5grs of Rl-17. 2500 fps Mv

At the shot there was dead silence & no movement where the deer was standing. After watching the spot for several minutes & got down from my tripod & walked to the edge of the brush before I could see him.

From the way he was bunched up he must have pitched down nose 1st. The bullet never entered the chest cavity. It must have taken out the spine.I hope to find the bullet when we butcher him.
img

img

butlersrangers

Re: 30/40 Krag Still Brings Home the Bacon

Post by butlersrangers »

Nice job by Dad's Krag, Hornady, and Dads Krag!

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Post by Tom Butts »

Yep, they keep doing the job. I got one with one of my Krags again this year.

Best,
Tom

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

The rack may not be pretty as you say but the venison is certainly going to be good eats.

My home country does not allow krags for hunting. I can use a .729 caliber rifle for deer. Plus I use saboted bullets. It is a good combo to a hundred yards if I do my part. Deflated an average sized doe on Sunday morning.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Luke

Post by Luke »

Thank You for the inspiration, it great to appreciate firearms, but it's better to actually get out and use them.