Serial Number Question

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Banjo1928

Serial Number Question

Post by Banjo1928 »

When I first told people about my Krag I kept referring to it as an 1894 Model as that is what is stamped on the receiver (1894). At some point a kindly individual explained to me that there was in fact no Model of 1894. What I had was an 1892 model manufactured in 1894. They went on to say that the date on the early Krags was not the model but the manufacturing date. This changed later on but had not happened yet with mine. Fine, I'm happy but early on and then later I put the serial number in various web sight's look-up systems and it always comes up square in the middle of 1895 as year of manufacture. In fact I have to crank the serial number pretty far back to get it to show up as an 1894. So it is an 1892 model stamped 1894 made in 1895. As I am new to all this I thought I'd ask the experts how the numbering system worked at the time of my Krag's manufacture.

butlersrangers

Re: Serial Number Question

Post by butlersrangers »

Banjo 1928: (As I Understand it) - The date range, when a Krag was assembled as a completed arm, is an estimation. Krags were not manufactured in numerical order.

Receivers were manufactured, numbered, and heat-treated. They went into parts bins and were randomly pulled to build a Krag. Although probably used within a year of manufacture, the receivers were not used immediately and a receiver could be 'overlooked' in the bottom of a bin.

If a Krag has its original stock, a 'Cartouche', (the initials J.S.A. and a year), were stamped on the Krag's stock, when it was accepted into service. The cartouche year gives an idea of what year a rifle was completed. But, because of being overhauled or rebuilt, many Krags are not in their original stock.

Banjo1928

Re: Serial Number Question

Post by Banjo1928 »

Very interesting. Explains a lot. Thanks so much again for the quick and informative reply. I have ordered a book on Krags and will settle back and try and get some info from the wealth of info on this sight. I also ordered a magazine cut-off lever for it so sporterized or not it will have all of its parts.