Krag Carbine Sights

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
JohnnyG

Krag Carbine Sights

Post by JohnnyG »

Hi, I am new to this list.
I have an 1898 Krag Carbine that is Sporterized. My grand-uncle purchased it in 1946. He used it hunting deer, elk and a couple of moose.
It has Lyman sights front and rear. I am looking to put the proper sights back on it.
The serial number is 200856, which according to Poyer's book it was manufactured in 1899 ? I will post some pictures later.
My question is which sights would be correct for this gun ? The book states a lot of carbines had 1901 rear sights, is that accurate ?
Ebay has a 1901 carbine sight right now going for almost $100.00. What is the price for a sight to fit my carbine ?
Thank you for any help you can give me. JohnImage

Dick Hosmer

Re: Krag Carbine Sights

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Welcome!

With that serial number, it is NOT an original carbine, so, I would leave the Lyman sights on it, and keep it as a treasured family heirloom/memento. It would be a waste of money and effort to attempt to put it back to something it never was.

If you want a collector-correct carbine, you will have to buy another gun. I'd suggest a Model 1899 as they are the most plentiful to choose from, and the least costly. Most carbines found today do have the M1901C sight.

JohnnyG

Post by JohnnyG »

Here are a couple of pics of my gun. They are not the best, just the only ones I have right now.Image

JohnnyG

Post by JohnnyG »

Here is another one.ImageImage

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

After seeing the pics, it may have some carbine parts, but there is no way to recover from the recoil pad application. I'd still keep it just as it is, for the family association, and consider buying another piece, if you want a real carbine, and www.gunbroker.com is an excellent source.

JohnnyG

Post by JohnnyG »

Hi again, Thank you for the input. The barrel is 22 inches long, the stock without the recoil pad is 31.5 inches long. The plug filling the butt plate inset is 3/4 of an inch long in front of the recoil pad.
There is a small number and the letter 'P' below the trigger guard stamped in the stock.
The stock does not appear to have a cartouche stamp near the receiver. The barrel has the sight holes in the top with small screws in them and the letter 'P' on the underside near the receiver.
The side cover plate was shortened by having the tail of the cover cut by about a quarter of an inch to allow the Lyman sight to sit next to the magazine cutoff. A lot of the bluing remains.
I will be shooting it soon. Cabela's had a sale on this ammo at $30.00 a box. ImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'JohnnyG' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

I agree with all of Dick Hosmer's observations on your 'family Krag'.

It appears you do have a carbine barrel and a 'long forearm' carbine stock.

Regrettably, your stock was altered for the recoil pad and Lyman aperture sight. Also, your receiver was drilled and tapped for its Lyman sight.

The "P" mark on your barrel is the Proof Mark. The "Circled P" on your stock, indicates the arm was checked for function. Krag stocks, without a dated Cartouche on the side, are believed to be replacement stocks.

You have a neat piece of family history. Enjoy shooting it!