new barrel for krag

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
madsenshooter

Re: new barrel for krag

Post by madsenshooter »

I had hoped the short chambering would turn out to be for real, since I have a reamer that appears to be made to cut a shorter throat for spitzer bullets. Maybe I could go factory direct and get one unchambered, but otherwise finished. The parkerized Krag is going to need a new barrel at some point, I managed to ring the chamber in the rear of the neck using filler with cast bullets. Hasn't grown any so I'm still shooting it for now.

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

CMP is offering new reproduction barrels for Krags?
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/custom-gunsmithing/#inventorylist
This is what I would do.
Steve
The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

fastfreddy

Post by fastfreddy »

I think you're right Para... Sure looks that way to me.

Fastfreddy, measure your Krag barrel by dropping a cleaning rod down the barrel against the closed bolt. Then, mark, remove and measure the rod. It probably is 24 inches however, as that is a somewhat normal cutoff length for Krag sporters. I think you'd do better going with the 30 inch also. You'll get good accuracy, and you'll be partway there should you decide to return it to an as-issued configuration.

I talked to my gunsmith yesterday, he said he found a barrel for $ 96.00, it did not sound right to me and I asked him if it was a new barrel and what length, he said it was a new barrel but did not know the length, told him not to get it if it is 22 inches, if it's 24 or 30 inches then go ahead. I also told him to also do more searching and to check out Criterian and other brands.

RichWIS

Post by RichWIS »

If you are reloading for the rifle have you tried backing out your sizing die so you headspace on the shoulder and not the rim. The separation you are getting is from the case stretching in a loose chamber. If not sure how to set you die get a few 303 Brit cases and start with your die out at least a full turn. Size in your die and try in the chamber, turning the die in until the cases will just let you close the bolt. At this point the cases will have minimal stretch and should eliminate the separation problem.

fastfreddy

Post by fastfreddy »

I have tried that method, the cases still show signs of separation, it needs a new barrel or else needs to have the headspace fixed.

Rick H.

Post by Rick H. »

With the Criterion barrels you actually finish ream the chamber AND establish headspace on the back side of the barrel. If you go the Criterion route be very careful about indexing the timing marks. I just did a one last Saturday and lined the marks up and reamed the chamber and things went quite nicely. When I took it out of my barrel vise I noticed the front sight base was canted to the side and the barrel was actually over tightened. I managed to re-index the barrel purely by visual rules, however doing this resulted in the headspace being a tad longer. It is still within acceptable limits but a word to the wise...don't ream until you check how the barrel is timed with not only the index marks but the front sight as well.

Rick H.

capnkwig

Post by capnkwig »

High Cap'n here

I was reading on some 303 forum about this exact case stretching and reduced brass life. A genuine genius told of putting a small O rig in front of the rim. this keeps the case head in contact with the front of the bolt head. eliminating the stretch ring in front of the rim. He's getting 10 to 12 reloads per case. Worth trying lots cheaper thn a new barrel.

Eagle223usa

Post by Eagle223usa »

If the barrel is worth saving Fred, I would have tried a new bolt body first. What did you end up doing with your rifle?