looking for info on Springfield 1898

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Mmr8cmh

looking for info on Springfield 1898

Post by Mmr8cmh »

I have came into position of this Springfield 1898 and was directed to this group to help me find out some more about it. it looks to be a carbine version but I am not sure if it has been made to look so. From my research it falls in the serial number range to be a possibility. I have also noticed some other things that are correct but not sure if anything is not. would like to determine a round about value. Thanks in advance for all your help. SN-121581 ImageImageImageImageImage

Dick Hosmer

Re: looking for info on Springfield 1898

Post by Dick Hosmer »

It could possibly be - no way to tell for sure. That (1898C) is a pretty rare rear sight, and looks like it has been in place, with the proper handguard, for awhile. It is graduated for the 2200fps ammo which had to be withdrawn soon after adoption because it was a little too hot for use in all climates.

The sling has been added, and in a non-military way. If the army had done it they would have used a rifle barrel band for its' front swivel and mounted the rear swivel in the proper place, 4" from the butt.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dick Hosmer covered it very well. The only thing that looks wrong to me is the commercial sling-swivels.

At first glance, the front-sight blade appeared too tall (to me) and to be a Krag rifle blade. However, upon reviewing Frank Mallory's, "The Krag Rifle Story" (page 134), the 'rifle' .410" high blade is correct for the 1898 Carbine with the 1898 carbine rear-sight.

Your, apparently correct, model 1898 carbine is relatively rare with about 5,000 made. Your 1898 carbine sight is a very rare Krag sight.

However, collectors prefer model 1898 carbines with the earlier short forearm stock, cavalry sling-bar & ring, 1896 carbine sight and sight protecting barrel-band. This is the 1898 model that saw use in the SAW and Philippine campaigns.

Your 1898 carbine was updated by Springfield to model 1899 carbine configuration, which makes it less desirable to most collectors.

Collectors are also leery of model 1898 Krag carbines because so many are fakes. I would estimate the value of your carbine around the same value as a similar condition model 1899 carbine. IMHO - around $1,200 to $1,400 and a box of Krispy Kreme Doughnuts.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Well... any 1898 carbine, SAW proper or not, would be desirable to me. If you feel like you need a benefactor for your carbine, I'll happily let you adopt me! LOL

Seriously though, nice carbine! Welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of Krags. Beware, they tend to multiply...