Boyd's stock on an 1898

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Magilla26

Boyd's stock on an 1898

Post by Magilla26 »

This might be sacrilege but I put a semi-finished Boyd's stock on my Model 1898. The original stock had been cut down and the length of pull and the difficulty lining up the sights made it near impossible to shoot. A semi-finished stock needs a lot of work. I had to use a coping saw, files, chisels etc. to get the job done. I am happy with the results. The bore slugs .309" and it shoots Factory Core-Lokt 180 grain PSP within 3" at 100 yds. Being 6'3" I added a slip on recoil pad to increase the length of pull.Image

madsenshooter

Re: Boyd's stock on an 1898

Post by madsenshooter »

Better for it to be used rather than rust away. Boyds does make repro military stocks, but you think that one required a lot of fitting...

Todd Doyka

Post by Todd Doyka »

pretty good looking!!!! ;) mine is a 1903 model that has been sporterized. 22" barrel and a bishops stock(1950-1960's) i have a redfield 102k sight but i have to put it on.

img

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

This might be sacrilege but I put a semi-finished Boyd's stock on my Model 1898. The original stock had been cut down and the length of pull and the difficulty lining up the sights made it near impossible to shoot. A semi-finished stock needs a lot of work. I had to use a coping saw, files, chisels etc. to get the job done. I am happy with the results. The bore slugs .309" and it shoots Factory Core-Lokt 180 grain PSP within 3" at 100 yds. Being 6'3" I added a slip on recoil pad to increase the length of pull.

Do they offer these in different grades of walnut?
Steve
The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I have a Bishop's on my sporter (minus the front cap, which is missing). I'm toying with the idea of having the cutoff barrel replaced and returning it to as-issued condition, but the thought of a Boyds stock scares the crap out of me. I've heard that they are notoriously bad fitting, requiring tons of work to get right. I would like to retire my main CMP Match rifle though since it's stock has already cracked once.

As far as offering in different grades of wood, I don't know, but I do know that their rifle and carbine replacement stocks are the correct grade of American Black Walnut. Perhaps someone who has had more experience with Boyds will know the answer to that question.

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

IIRC, Boyd;s are advertised as semi inletted? So some work should be expected.
Steve
The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

Magilla26

Post by Magilla26 »

I just took a look at Boyd's web site and it looks like they have stocks for Krag Models 1896 and 1898 in both carbine and rifle but in semi-inlet standard walnut only. In their custom options they show Claro X and Claro XX but not for Krags. It says custom options not available for all models. I didn't do a complete search but they might do some custom wood if you called them. I am happy with my 1898 stock but it was a lot of work.