Sideplate Scope Mount for 1898 Sporter

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
John M11

Sideplate Scope Mount for 1898 Sporter

Post by John M11 »

Is there a source for a sideplate scope mount for my 1898 sporter? My youngest daughter will be huntimg with me this year and she may not be able to utilize the peep sights on the carbine. Google and a search here haven't turned up anything useful.

The very well done sporter does have 2 holes in the sideplate for what I assume is a scope mount. I'll try to get some pictures posted.

John M11

Re: Sideplate Scope Mount for 1898 Sporter

Post by John M11 »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2yuoyb2divfl1e/left%20side%203%20n.jpeg?dl=0

Here is a photo of the sideplate. I stumbled on this one a few months ago and couldn't passit up for the price.

there are other pictures of the carbine in that album

John M11

Post by John M11 »

So apparently Ihave made an assumption of evidence NOTin fact. I can only assme that from the lack of response from those much more knowledgable than I, that the two holes in the sideplate are not for a scope moun/ Also, no amount of searching turned up anything of the like.

So, what are the two holes likely for? A member on the Cmp forum thought he remembered that the Cmpsold older drill rifles with those two holes. He wasn't sure what they wold be for though.

If my daughter needs a scope, we can try the rear sight mounted LERscope. More than likely Iwould just get her another rifle. This rifle really needs to be hunted with though.

The link to the photograph is to the whole album of pictures. Iwas really exited to find this one even though Ihave never been a sporter kind of shooter. This one was so nice. Although the metal was reblued, and the sideplate has those two extra holes, the main metal is untouched. Normal Krag front sight, no rear sight. and a Redfield no drill peep sight. It does need a smaller aperature though.

Odd, but the serial number is in the range of Krag Carbines. Isuspect it was re-barrelled when it was sporterized though. Ihold no hopes that it was an original carbine. Though it could be brought back to millitary trim. At some significan expense.

I'd be interested in your opinions on the carbine and any thoughts on what the two holes in the sideplate are for.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

"John M11": Welcome to the KCA Forum.

In regard to your Side-Plate, I've got nothing! I have not seen that alteration to a Krag side-plate before.

It seems like a bad idea. Any irregularity to the inside surface of the side-plate would risk causing cartridge feed problems.

The side-plate is relatively thin. Threaded holes in the side-plate would not have a lot of threads to provide strength.

It looks like your Krag is a nicely done sporter. Have you allowed your daughter to try shooting the Krag with its 'peep' sight? Usually when hunting with a receiver sight ('peep'), Hunters will remove the screw-in aperture and use the large threaded hole as a 'ghost-ring'. This is better for low light situations and gives a better field of view.

John M11

Post by John M11 »

Thanks for the welcome. I have been a member for several years, I just don't post much. I visit here a lot though.

She hasn't shot it yet. It was actually a lark that she is going hunting with me this year. I put her in the draw to increase my odds of getting drawn. In Arizona you can put up to 4 people on your submission and if any are drawn, all are drawn. She hasn't shown any interest in hunting since she was very young, but when Iasked her if she would go, she said yes. The big advantage are her eyes are much better than mine.

That said, I'll get her to shoot it in the next week or two. The drawback to using the peep sight is that, I think it will limit her range. And where we hunt in the desert, getting within 100 yards is pretty lucky. Most deer are spotted at long range and there isn't a lot of cover to make a stalk. I'm not sure she will be able to stretch it to 200 yards, even with a scope. We'll just have to see how this one works out. For al I know now, she may like the peep sight jsut the way it is. Just to have her with me for that week would be worth it to me.

As far as the carbine is concerned this is the first sporter that I own. The only other sporter was a 1903A3 in a sporter stock that I put back to millitary configuration. It is my competition bolt gun now. For the price I couldn't pass this one up. The sight alone was worth nearly half what I paid for the carbine.

Thanks again.

As far as the screws go, that might be an issue with this carbine. It doesn't feed real reliably. Though I haven't really researched the issue yet. I have been reading that when the magazine cutoff is removed, as on this carbine, feeding can be an issue and a shortened version of the cutoff (short enough for the peep sight to be installed) is installed to aid in feeding. I have not investigated that enough but maybe it is the screws that is giving me the issue.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

John M11: I see your point on the Scope. You hunt at longer ranges in Arizona than we do in the Michigan woods!

Model 1898 Krag side-plates sell for $12 to $15. It would be worth your while to try a different side-plate.

You are correct about the potential for some roughness in feeding when the cut-off is gone. Redfield instructions changed over the years from recommending total removal to recommending using just the cut-off shaft.

Here is a copy of what William's Gunsight came to recommend.Image

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Hi John,

If you are still intending to put a scope on this for your daughter, Kraghaus makes a 3" and 6" utility rail that mounts with the original rear sight screws. The 3" requires no further modification, but the 6" requires drilling and tapping the barrel for a third screw (which is not too difficult if you're careful). The tradeoff is that you'll need a scout scope due to long eye relief. Unlike most other rifles, Krags eject almost straight up, which becomes a problem if you mount the scope over the receiver. So you'll need to either use a offset scope which isn't the most desirable position, or use a long eye relief scope, which works reasonably well.

Here's the link: http://www.kraghaus.com/product-p/rail1001.htm

I use this mount and a long eye relief scope on one of my Krags, and this is my Cast Bullet competition rig. The web site recommends letting a professional gunsmith perform the installation, but anyone with competent mechanical skills with good drills and taps can do this.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I did see a sideplate scope mount at one time on ebay. It was machined to accept the Warner Swasey scope. Perhaps some experiments at Springfield Armory, or alternatively some state's National Guard that wanted a sniper rifle before they got 03s. Paul likely posted the best solution for you.

John M11

Post by John M11 »

Thanks for the replies. We are planning a trip to the range this Sunday. I'll bring the Krag, Model 8 in 30 Rem, Win 1894 in 32 Special, and my other daughters Remington 700 in 270. It is the only one with a scope. I ditched my hunting rifles when my other daughter stopped hunting. That $330 big Box Store special shoots better than anything I have ever owned.

I will not drill the Krag. If we decide that the Krag is the one and it needs a scope, I'll go with the Kraghause mount. I already own a pretty decent LER scope.

John M11

Post by John M11 »

Butler,

Thanks for the confirmation. I will have to inspect this one a little bit more. I'm not sure if it is devoid of a cut off or if there is a cut off shaft installed.

John M.
Mesa, AZ

- I think it was 112 here today :'( - But Iget to poke fun in January